Members who might not be willing to take on the full role of elected steward can play a vital role in ensuring that UNISON has a presence in every workplace. Not an elected position, it can also prove a useful way for a member to gain experience or build confidence before making a further commitment.
Tasks relating to the post of workplace contact (see also workplace representatives leaflet unison.org.uk/acrobat/14735.pdf, stock number 2233):
- to be a point of contact between members and the branch
- to recruit new members or introduce new employees to a branch officer
- to give support to members at work by advising them where to seek assistance
- to keep notice boards up to date
- to distribute information sent by the branch for members.