Welcome‎ > ‎

Need help?

Need Help?

If you need help and are a member of UNISON at the University of York Branch, you should first email unison@york.ac.uk. One of our committee members will contact you to arrange a private meeting at a mutually convenient time and location. Any information given by you will be treated as confidential. Depending on the circumstances, we will then decide whether to allocate a local member to assist you or to request assistance from a regional officer.  

You can also call our national helpline UNISONdirect on 0845 355 0845. Lines are open from 6am to midnight on Monday to Friday and from 9am till 4pm on Saturday. There is a textphone number for members with hearing difficulties - 0800 0 967
If you are struggling through an unexpected crisis, or if the pressures of every day life are getting to you, There for You can help.

We offer a unique confidential advice and support service just for members of UNISON and their dependents.

Whether it's just a chat and a sympathetic ear, or more concrete help you need, we may be able to help.

We offer:

  • Financial assistance
  • Debt advice
  • Wellbeing breaks
  • Support and information
UNISON is the only trade union to offer a confidential advice and support service to its members and their families in the form of a registered charity. UNISON Welfare, now been rebranded as There for You: supporting UNISON members when life gets tough.

In recent years, we noticed that the name "Welfare" was putting some people off, while other members didn't understand what services we provide.

So we've rebranded our services as the more approachable There for You: supporting UNISON members when life gets tough. The charity's official name remains UNISON Welfare.