Role-playing and writing about key figures of the revolutionary periodPurpose:
To learn more about these historical personalities and their beliefsInstruction:
- Pairs of students will select a key figure from revolutionary Russia to investigate.
- Examples of figures: Nicholas II, Alexandra, Rasputin, Lenin, Trotsky, Kerensky
- One student will role-play the charter while the other poses as a journalist/interviewer.
- Pairs of students should work together to...
- Conduct a believable interview
- Then write a newspaper story about the person
- Students will also create a propaganda poster that fits the message of their newspaper story (see page 446-447 for inspiration).
During the next class period...
- Each pair will read their completed news stories aloud to the class.
- Audience members will then conduct a question-and-answer session, such as would occur at a press conference. Students should ask questions relevant to the particular figure's role in the Russian Revolution.
Excellent Good Fair Poor
Newspaper Article 20pts 20-17 16-14 13-10 9 and below
Poster 10pts 10-8 7-5 4-3 2 and below
Presentation 10pts 10-8 7-5 4-3 2 and below
Interview 10pts 10-8 7-5 4-3 2 and below