History of Xenia High School



>>>  RETURN TO XHS60  <<<


From the 1958 Plaque ceremony on 4/8/2014.


      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

(transcribed from above)
   About the year 1847 a small two-story school house was erected on East Market Street on the site  now occupied by the High School.  It contained four grade school rooms and the rest were the High School rooms.

   The first superintendent was Mrs. Herty.  He remained until about 1857 when Rev. Twichell was appointed in his place.  He stayed but a short time and in 1861 Mr. Ormsby, who is still one of our most highly respected citizens, took his place.  He is in his ninty-forty year, and often honors our school by visiting us.  In Mr. Ormsby's "reign" there were many very stirring times.  Our great Civil War was being waged.  When Mr. Ormsby was interviewed a few days ago he told a very interesting anecdote of the life of the High School at that time.  The day before Lincoln's assassination, Miss Wait, the principal of the High School went to Cincinnati and procured silk enough for a flag to put up over the school building in hour of Lee's surrender at Appomatax Court House.  She returned in the evening and the girls of the High School stayed that night and made a large American flag.  About midnight they took it up to Mr. Cretors' on East Main street, and had him put the stars in the field of blue.  The next morning early they climbed the stairs and put the flag on a pole in front of the building and there it floated the whole day.  This day was a holiday for rejoicing over the conclusion of the war.  But that night the news of the great president's death by assassination reached the city and then all was sadness, where a few hours before was rejoicing.  Some of the past principals are Miss Fleming, Miss Rice, Mr. C. L. Spencer, Miss Wait, Mr. McMillan, and Mr Graham, while Miss Pearson now heads the Faculty.

   In 1883 the present building was dedicated and we hope soon to dedicate another and more modern school building.  Many classes have left their memorials on the grounds.  Two stone pillars composed of twenty-four stones have been left by as many different classes.  The fountain in front was presented by the class of 1908.  Just recently mothers' circles have been formed and they with the teachers are working to make our school one of the best in the land.  The year just closing has been the best in the history of the school.  Faculty and pupils are working together to maintain high standards and we can all be justly proud of our school.

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

(the captions from the pictures numbered above:)

1-  The first Central High School was built in 1883.  It was used for forty years when it was torn down and replaced.

2- The second central high School was built to replace the old building in 1923.  It served as high school  and junior high school until 1957.  It was destroyed in the 1974 Xenia Tornado.

3- In 1957 the Xenia High School was built on the site of the old Cox Athletic Field.  It was destroyed in the 1974 Tornado.

4- In September of 1977 the present Xenia High School was ready for all students to attend a regular school day for the first time since the tornado of April 3, 1974.

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

A picture of the stained-glass panel as it is now installed in the lobby of the high school.

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>