Child Care Financial Assistance in Wyoming
The Child Care Subsidy Program helps low income families pay for the cost of care when the parent(s) are working or in school or training. Based on the family’s income, the parents may be responsible for paying for part of the cost of care. The Department of Family Services’ Child Care Subsidy Program uses a combination of state and federal funds to assist eligible families in paying for the cost of child care while the parent(s) is working or attending an approved educational activity. If the family meets the eligibility criteria, the Department of Family Services pays a portion of the cost of care. Parents are free to choose a child care arrangement that best fits their needs as long as the provider chosen meets certain health and safety requirements.

How Much Will DFS Pay for Child Care?
DFS bases its maximum reimbursement rates for licensed facilities on a Market Survey which is conducted at least once every two years. Our most recent survey is the 2017  Market Survey. You will need to report your regular rates on the Provider Registration form. If your rates are more than the DFS maximum reimbursement rates, the parent(s) will be responsible for the amount above the DFS maximum reimbursement rates. The parent may also be responsible for paying for a portion of the cost of care. You cannot bill DFS more than you bill your families that are not assisted by DFS. The amount of time DFS will pay for is based on the parent(s) activity schedule. Only the hours that the parent is working or attending school are allowable hours for child care assistance. If the parent(s) are bringing the child to child care at times that they are not working or going to school, you should bill the parent directly and do not include those hours on your DFS billing form.
Is Child Care Subsidy an Option for My Family?
To qualify for the Child Care Subsidy Program, a family needs to meet all eligibility criteria including financial and approved activity criteria. The following information is provided as an overview of potential eligibility for assistance but the actual determination must be made by the local DFS office in the county where you reside.
  • All income that any family member receives must be reported to the Department for consideration in the eligibility determination for child care subsidy. The income may or may not be used based on the type of income and who receives the income.
  • The amount the state pays for child care depends on the family’s income and the cost of the care provided.
  • To receive child care assistance, the parent/caretaker must be working or attending an employment related educational program. For parents pursuing a college degree, assistance can be provided for the time the parent/caretaker is attending classes toward a first baccalaureate degree. If there are two parents/caretakers in the household, both parents/caretakers must be participating in an approved activity during the same hours.
  • Once the family has been receiving child care assistance, they may remain eligible for assistance if the family’s income increased due to employment earnings and the total income is within the limits for Transitional Child Care.
  • Child Care Assistance Application
  • Child Care Assistance Application Spanish Version
  • Financial Criteria Chart - effective October 1, 2019
  • Financial Criteria Chart - effective April 1, 2019
  • Financial Criteria Chart - effective October 1, 2018
Providing Care for Children Receiving Subsidy
To receive payment for child care services, you must either be a licensed provider or legally exempt from licensing.  If you are exempt from licensing, you must meet to following conditions to be eligible to receive payment:
  • You must be 18 years.
  • You must reside in Wyoming.
  • Assure that all children in your care are currently immunized and keep a copy of the child’s immunization record in your home.
  • You must have an operable phone and smoke detector or fire alarm system at the place where care is provided (Note: a phone may not be required if care is provided in the child’s home and a phone is available nearby).
  • Agree to lock up all weapons, ammunition, poisons, chemicals, bleach and cleaning materials to make them inaccessible to children.
  • You must submit verification that you are currently certified in infant/child CPR and first aid within 90 days of the date you began to care for a child for payment from DFS.
  • All adult household members and any substitute provider(s) who have access to the children in care must submit signed releases and receive favorable background checks from the Central Registry and the Division of Criminal Investigation.
How Do I Become Registered to Receive Payment?
Both licensed and unlicensed providers must submit a completed Provider Registration and a completed Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification to your local DFS office.

 Documents & Forms