Commissioner’s Corner                                                                     

Q. Does my homeowners insurance cover flooding?

A. Your homeowners insurance probably does not cover flooding. Flood insurance is usually a separate coverage you can purchase through a private insurer that offers flood coverage or through an agent or insurer participating in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) which the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) manages.

Q. If I were to buy flood insurance today, when would it go into effect?

A. Flood insurance requires a 30 day waiting period after purchase before it goes into effect, unless the policy is being purchased at the same time as a new home loan or mortgage.

Q. How can I know if my property is in a flood risk area?

A. You can check the FEMA flood map service to assess risk levels. There are homeowner questions and answers at: It is important to note that approximately 20% of flood insurance claims come from outside of high-risk flood zones. Remember, where it can rain, it can flood.

Q. What should I do in the event of a flood?

A. Have an evacuation plan. Prepare your home by moving items you want to protect to a higher floor and turning off your electricity. Store your insurance information in a safe place. Regularly update your homeowners or renters insurance and maintain a home inventory of your possessions. Keep track of records and receipts. Contact your insurer as soon as possible when it's safe. Your policy may require you to notify the company within a certain time frame. Take pictures of any property damage and try to prevent further damage by cleaning and drying wet items. Contact your insurance company to file a claim, following your insurer’s timelines and procedures. If you need assistance finding a company contact, call the DOI.

Commissioner Tom Glause