The overall music program of the district provides students with the opportunity to gain an appreciation of their musical heritage and to develop a sense of aesthetic awareness through goals that were developed by the New Jersey Music Educators Association. These goals include:
1. acquiring the skills necessary to solve a musical problem or task effectively.
2. acquiring an awareness of our musical heritage and an understanding of the role of the arts in history.
3. responding to music intellectually in order to develop critical aesthetic judgment.
4. acquiring the skills necessary for continuing musical education or employment.
5. acquiring the ability and the desire to express oneself creatively in music and to appreciate the aesthetic expression of other people.
6. developing an understanding of one's own worth, ability, potentialities and limitations through music.