Online resources are available about computing in the Math Department:
  Are you here for "the form"?  

This is the form for filling out when you want to buy a computer.  To learn more about the process, click here.

This form is intended to be used to allow for approvals.  

It is best to talk to Sara Nagreen before you fill out this form so we can go over your options and what would be the best computer for you. But if you just want a copy of the form see the link here:
e-device approval fillable.pdf.

 Got an IT Question?  Don't Suffer in Silence!
Contact Info  
John ->263-4189,
Henry -> 852-9025,
OR to email all three of us.

 How to get software for
your personal machine
  •, login with your netid.
  • Often, you need to register an account with the software vendor in order to activate the software.
  • There are also software deals available for personal computers from DoIT's Tech Store.

Math Accounts vs. UW Accounts:  What's the difference?

 Math Department Account
Used as:
  • alternate email address to provide a address.  Points back to account
  • a method for logging into Math Department computers
  • a method for printing and print accounting from Math Department computers.
  • a method for logging into Math Department websites
  • server credentials to make a webpage, or login to our servers via SSH
  • How to get:  ask Sara Nagreen in 515 Van Vleck Hall.
 UW (Netid) Accounts
Used as:
  • almost all UW communications
  • Scheduling appointments in WiscCal/Outlook Calendar
  • a method to login to many UW websites and webmail services (,
  • a method to connect to WiscVPN and wireless login screens
  • a method to obtain information about payroll and benefits (
  • a method to get free software from
  • How to get:  get your UW ID card and activate it online

Math Department servers allow up to 128 GB of storage space per user.  If you intend on using more for research, please ask about our departmental scratch space.