Updates and Changes to Benefits:
For complete and up-to-date information regarding updates and changes to your benefits and payroll information, please go to the UW Service Center's Employee Resources page at https://uwservice.wisc.edu/employee/index.php.
Classified Employees Handbooks
Payroll & Benefits Information
LTE's Benefits Resources
UW System - LTE Employee Benefits
Note: Employee must meet eligibility requirements in order to enroll in benefits.
Recruitment / Hiring Procedures
- Work with the staff that are making the hire in helping to develop the position description (PD).
PD is created, please submit it to Alyssa Luckey Winters who will help with the
recruitment efforts for the position (if no candidate is in mind at the
time). Places to submit the LTE PD include the UW Student Jobcenter website,
having graduate students announce the position before/after classes and
distributing the PD through email distribution lists that are
- Please refer to the the LTE PD template located here and at the bottom of this page; work with Alyssa Luckey Winters to find a corresponding state job title for the position.
you have a specific candidate in mind, please complete the last page of
the template with the individual's personal information. If the person
has been a classified employee/LTE in the past, please provide an
additional write-up of past employment history (talk to Alyssa Luckey Winters if
you would rather set-up a meeting to relay this information).
- Note: If you have a position that is similar to a previous position (Lab Assistant, LTER Research Assistant, Project Helper), please ask to see a previously employed LTE's PD by the Payroll & Benefits Specialist.
Once a candidate is selected, inform Alyssa Luckey Winters (and fill out the last sheet of the LTE PD template) so that Alyssa can
enter the appointment request in the Classified Human Resource System
(CHRIS). Once submitted, L&S HR will review the PD and refer back
to the CFL if there are any concerns regarding the position. Total
finalizing for the appointment can take up to 2 weeks for full
processing (L&S HR re-verify the appointment and submit to the UW's
Classified Personnel Office (CP) for final approval).
rates: LTEs are hourly and generally can be paid up to the minimum rate
of the position in question. Please refer to OSER's guide to minimums
and maximums for regular classified appointments here.
- UW-Madison's currently absolute minimum hourly rate for any LTE position is $11.82 per hour. (For more information, see the City of Madison's Living Wage Guidelines.)
Policies, Procedures, Guidelines, etc. (applies to Classified Permanent/Project and LTE's):Forms
New EmployeesPolicies & Procedures
Updating Contact Information
Human Resource System (HRS) Information
- Paper timesheets should be filled out by you, signed by your supervisor, and emailed directly to Alyssa Luckey Winters. The classified and LTE timesheets can be found below. If these timesheets are out of date, please contact Alyssa to have them updated.
- Timesheet Processing Schedule
(Note: To best used at a later date--as of now, that date is questionable.)