Welcome to Grade 5 American Revolution Investigations
1. Becoming A Detective - What's the American Revolution?
2. Choose Your Investigation
Situation: When we study about the American Revolution, we do not often hear about the role played by Connecticut. Your job is to investigate Connecticut's impact on the American Revolution, and decide whether the Revolution would have succeeded without Connecticut.
Situation: We all know George Washington, Paul Revere, and John Adams are men who are included in any study of the American Revolution. But what about the rest of the people? What did Native Americans, African Americans, women, young people and others contribute to the Revolutionary War effort? Your job is to investigate a variety of citizens who made great contributions to the war effort, and decide why some people are included while others are left out.
Situation: The Revolutionary War was fought in many places throughout the 13 colonies. Each battle helped shape the war, and the people who fought in it. The words of those who participated shape our understanding of those battles and their historical significance. Your job is to determine if you were the teacher and could only teach your students about 2-3 battles in this war, would you choose to include this one in your lesson plans? Why or why not?
3. Cracking The Case
You are now ready to draw conclusions from the evidence you have collected to answer one of the following questions:
A. Would the Revolution have succeeded without Connecticut? or
B. Who is missing from traditional accounts of the American Revolution? or
C. How does each battle shape the outcome of the Revolutionary War?
You will be creating a visual presentation with a tool of your choice to answer your question.
The presentation is outlined below.
No need to search for images elsewhere on the Internet. Scroll down to find three folders of images on this page. Incorporate these images from this case study into your presentation.
Directions: How To Add Images To Your Presentation
While logged into your Chromebook, do the following:
1. Click on the Events folder to open it.
2. When the folder opens, look to the top right corner of the window and click on the blue Add To My Drive button.
3. Repeat Steps 1 & 2 to add People and Provisions images to your My Drive as well.
4. When you want to add an image to your presentation, from within your Presentation, do the following:
- Click on Insert
- Then click on Image
- And then choose My Drive
- Navigate to the photo you want to add and click on it
- Finally, click the blue Select button at the bottom of the window.