How to Register Child for School

Registering your child for school
Parents with first-time students who are to be enrolled in Wilson County Schools are required to have their address verified as the first step in registering their child for school. To determine what school your child is zoned to attend, key in your address on bus routes/zoning section on the school system’s web site. If you need further assistance, call 444-3282 ext. 7308 or ext. 7281. The county is updating the process for student registration, please check the WCS site for the most current information. 

Registering a child for kindergarten:
  • State law requires that children be 5 years old by August 15 to enter kindergarten.
  • Pre-registration at all Wilson County schools offering kindergarten is usually held each April at the zoned school. Parents need to call their zoned school for specific dates.
  • It is important that parents register their children for kindergarten during pre-registration if possible because if the schools know in advance how many children to expect for kindergarten, then they can be well prepared on the first day of school. This ensures a good start to school for students, parents and teachers.
Parents need to gather several important documents for registration:
  • Certified Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Tennessee School Immunization Certificate*
  • Proof of Custody (if parents are divorced/separated)
  • Proof of Residence** minimum of two (2) from the following:
    • Utility bill (gas, electric, water, or hook-up verification for last month prior to enrolling)
    • Copy of signed lease agreement (including renewed lease agreement), signed valid non-contingent real estate sales contract
    • Property tax statement
    • Driver’s license indicating current address
    • Voter registration
    • Copy of recent paycheck indicating name and address
    • Mortgage document or property deed
    • IRS forms
    • DHS benefits documentation
    • Alimony and child support documentation
    • Bank account statements
    • Insurance documents
Birth Certificate and proof of residence are required for pre-registration in the spring. Also, schools request that the parents bring their child’s social security card. All other documents must be presented at the school by the first day of school.

*To get a Tennessee School Immunization Certificate, parents should contact their child’s doctor or the health department and schedule an appointment for a physical. At the time of the physical, the health card Tennessee School Immunization Certificate will be issued.

If transferring from a Tennessee public school, an out of county school, a private or parochial school, a Tennessee School Immunization Certificate is required at the time of registration with proper documentation of required immunizations for Tennessee school attendance. No student is permitted to start school without the required immunizations on the Immunization Certificate).
Subpages (1): New Student Registration