Wilson County Board of Education Enrollment and Registration
Information on Enrollment and Admission of Resident Students
Wilson County Schools are free to children of school age that reside in Wilson County and do not reside in the Lebanon Special School District Zone (Pre-K – 8th Grade). A child will be a resident when;
- The child is living with a natural parent or parent by legal adoption who resides in Wilson County.
- The child’s parents are dead and he is living with a person in loco parentis who resides in Wilson County.
- The child’s parents are unable to care for the child and the child is living, not solely for school purposes, with a person who resides in Wilson County and is the court-appointed guardian, or has legal custody.
- The child is living with a parent, guardian, or person and parent is in a temporary shelter in the school division, not solely for school purposes.
- The child is living in Wilson County, not solely for school purposes, as an emancipated minor.
- A child may be considered a resident of Wilson County for the purpose of free attendance if his/her residence is bona fide and not a superficial residence established for the purpose of attending school. Application for admission will be submitted to the Attendance Director who will determine whether the child is a bona fide resident of Wilson County.
The Attendance Director will be authorized to obtain documentation to support the application. All information provided with the application will be subscribed and sworn to by the person making the application.
Any child who will be five years old on or before August 15th of the current school year is eligible to enroll in the Wilson County School System. Children who are 5 after August 15th are not eligible to attend kindergarten.
An official birth certificate must be submitted as proof of age upon enrollment of children into kindergarten. The birth certificate must be from the Bureau of Vital Statistics issued by the state in which the child was born. A certificate of successfully administered immunizations and a current physical are also required prior to entrance.
The following entrance requirements must be met:
- The child is a resident of Wilson County.
- The child has a certificate of immunizations and a physical within the last year.
- The child has a birth certificate or equivalent as proof of age.