Home‎ > ‎

St. Lukes Hospital Jacksonville Florida






1873-1898-Mrs. Alexander Mitchell
1899 -Mrs. D. G. Ambler

1900-1908-Mrs. J. H. Durkee
1909 -Duncan U. Fletcher

1910-1915—A. W. Cockrell
1916-1917-Dr. E. M. L'Engle
1918 -J. H. McKinnon

1919-1920-Dr. J. H. Durkee
1921-1922—J. H. McKinnon
1923 -Dr. E. M. L'Engle

1924-1926 H. P. Osborne 

1927-1928-P. L. Gaskins 

1929-1931-Frank W. Norris 

1932-1933—E. F. Fitch 

1934        L. J. Lazelere

1935-1936 W. E. Arnold

1937-1938—C. Harrison Mann 

1939-1940—S. S.Jacobs  
 
1941-1942—Philip G. Howe 

1943—C. T. Inglis (2)

1944 -W. K. Drake

1945-  Frank W. Norris

1946- Philip G. Howe 

1947-1948-C. T. Inglis

1949-1950-Rhydon C. Latham 

1951-1952-Leo A. Jansen 

1953-1954-Clyde C. Pierce 

1955-1956-L. D. Hupp 

1957-1958—Eli H. Fink

1959 -   Philip G. Howe

1960-1962-Roger L. Main

Mr. Howe entered the service October I, 1942, and Mr. Inglis served the balance of the term.

Mr. Inglis entered the service April 14, 1943, and Mr. Drake served the balance of the term.




OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS ST. LUKES HOSPITAL


                                    1873


Mrs. Alexander Mitchell, President 

Mrs. J. D. Mitchell, Treasurer 

Mrs. Anna T. Doggett 

Mrs. Theodore Hartridge


                  90 YEARS OF SERVICE

OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS ST. LUKES HOSPITAL

                                  1962 


Roger L. Main, President 

Mrs. J. E. Davis, 1st Vice President 

Connor Brown, 2nd Vice President 

Mrs. George H. Hodges, 3rd Vice President 

Frank W. Norris, Treasurer 

Wirt A. Beard, Secretary

W. E. Arnold, Executive Director and Assistant Secretary 


                                         DIRECTORS


WIRT A. BEARD ,CONNOR BROWN FRANCIS B. CHILDRESS, 

JAMES A. CRANFORD ,J. E. DAVIS ,W. K. DRAK 

ELI H. FINK ,PHILIP G. HOWE, L. D. HUPP CLIFFORD T. INGLIS ,

LEO A. JANSEN, RHYDON C. LATHAM, WILLIAM R. LOVETT, 

ROGER L. MAIN, C. HARRISON MANN ,ROBERT C. MILLAR, 

FRANK W. NORRIS, H. P. OSBORNE ,CLYDE C. PIERCE

MRS. G. J. AVENT, MRS. R. D. BALDWIN MRS. CONNOR BROWN,

 MRS. T. G. BUCKNER ,MRS. J. E. DAVIS, MRS. JEROME HERMAN, 

MRS. W. J. HILDEBRANDT ,MRS. JAMES P. HILL,

 MRS. GEORGE H. HODGES, MRS. THOMAS C. IMESON, 

MRS. GEORGE W. KENNEDY, MRS. W. M. OCONNELL, 

MRS. H. P. OSBORNE, MRS. GRANVILLE RAILEY, 

MRS. JOHN ROSENBLUM, MISS MAY B. SPROULL ,

MRS. DON TULLIS, MRS. BASIL WALKER


St. Luke's Hospital would not have begun if not for three caring women,

 Mrs. Theodore Hartridge, Mrs.Aristides Doggett and Mrs. J. D. Mitchell. 

They saw a need for a suitable place to accommodate sick and destitute

 transients.They formed the Ladies Benevolent Society. The money they

 raised for the charity, enabled them to rent a small frame building between

 Duval and Monroe streets. In March of 1873 St. Luke’s Hospital was opened. 

It was the first institution in Florida for the sick.

In 1874 a lot on the corner of Market and Caroline Street was purchased. 

Work began on the new building in 1875. Just before the building was to open, 

it was destroyed by fire. The new location was to be on Palmetto Street, 

which opened in 1878. Due to the need of a larger facility, this location was 

closed in 1914, when the new hospital was built in Springfield.Operated 

until 1984 as St. Luke's was moved to  Southpoint.

The First St. Lukes Hospital
St. Lukes Hospital on Palmetto St.  1880
First Class of St. Luke's School of Nursing 1885
School of Nursing 1896
St. Luke's Patient Room -Turn of the Century
Nursing Staff 1910
St. Luke's Hospital, on 8th Street opened in 1914

Orthopedic Room 1928