Course selection and transitions to new grades, are important processes at Wellesley Middle School. Information regarding these processes will be sent home a variety of ways; with students, through messages from the principal, or from the PTO blast. We hope you find the timeline below helpful. Dates are subject to change.
5th Grade Course Selection and Orientation Information:
Parents will receive course selection forms and other transition information in March and April of 2017 during spring parent-teacher elementary school conferences, and via email from middle school Principal Mark Ito and Department Head of Guidance Kate Mahoney. Here are upcoming dates to put on your calendar:
- March 23, 2017 5th to 6th Parent Night: 6:30 p.m, Wellesley Middle School
- March 30, 2017: Special Education Night: 6:30 p.m, Wellesley Middle School
- May 2017: Elementary Schools visit WMS:
- May 1: Schofield and Fiske
- May 2: Bates and Hardy
- May 5: Hunnewell and Upham
- May 8: Sprague and non-public
- May 10, 2017 and May 17, 2017, 9:00-10:30 a.m: 5th Grade Parent Workshop: Wellesley Middle School. Department Heads will present information regarding sixth grade curriculum and a parent and student panel will share information and answer questions about the 5th to 6th transition process.
6th Grade Course Selection:
Students can choose languages for study in 7th grade and will make other selections for 7th grade. Counselors will instruct 6th grade students regarding 7th grade choices on:
7th Grade Course Selection:
7th grade Math teachers will make recommendations for eighth grade Math levels in February of 2017. Students are recommended for Algebra 8R, Algebra 8, Concepts in Algebra, or small group Math. Please refer to our Program of Studies for more information. Students will register for classes online after watching counselor presentations and discussing some course options with teachers and parents. Counselor presentations to students will be:
- The week of March 20, 2017.
8th Grade Course Selection and Orientation Information:
8th grade course selection is an involved process. Counselors enjoy helping eighth graders prepare for Wellesley High School. (Parents interested in vocational programs, should contact guidance counselors to discuss options)
- February 2, 2017: 6:45 pm: 8th to 9th Grade Parent Evening at Wellesley High School
- February 6 (Team WMS) and February 8 (Team Raiders) 2017: 8th grade students go by team to tour the high school.
- February 14, 2017: Middle School counselors visit 8th grade classrooms and discuss high school schedule, class levels, and elective offerings.
- February 17, 2017: High School counselors join middle school counselors to present information to eighth graders about the atmosphere of the high school and transition support.
- February 27-March 15, 2017: Middle School counselors meet with each eighth grader individually to review choices for high school. Students decide with parents on levels and electives.
- March 17, 2017: High school signed course verification sheets due in Room 312 of middle school.