Course Selection and Transition Information
In light of the WPS District closure, 8th grade “Course Selection “ deadline has been extended to Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 5pm, at which time the PowerSchool Student Portal will close.
Please work with your student to finalize their course selections. There will be no need to submit a hard copy of the verification form, as it will be assumed you have approved their selections. Students can return these forms to their homeroom teachers when school reopens. Directions to complete this process are available on this link:
Course level change forms are still required to be submitted if you want to choose a different Math level from what the teacher recommended. Please submit this completed form directly via email to your counselor ( a pdf, scan, picture) by Tuesday's deadline, or soon after.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Course selection and transitions to new grades, are important processes for our students. Information regarding these processes will be sent home a variety of ways; with students, through messages from the principal, or from the PTO blast. We hope you find the timeline below helpful. Dates are subject to change.
5th to 6th Grade Course Selection and Orientation Information:
Parents will receive course selection forms and other transition information in March and April of 2020 during spring parent-teacher elementary school conferences, and via email from middle school Principal Mark Ito and Department Head of Guidance Kate Mahoney. Here are upcoming dates to put on your calendar:
- March 19, 2020 : 5th to 6th Parent Night. 6:30 pm. Wellesley Middle School Auditorium (on hold)
- April 9, 2020 : Special Education meeting for parent(s) or guardian(s) of students on IEP's. 9:00 am. Wellesley Middle School Library
- April 17, April 27, April 28, May 1, 2020: 5th graders visit WMS for a half day. Private school students are invited on April 17th.
- May 1, 2020: 5th Grade Parent Workshop. 9:00-10:30 am. Middle School Cafeteria. A parent and student panel will share information and answer questions about the 5th to 6th transition process.
6th to 7th Grade Course Selection:
Counselors will instruct 6th grade students regarding 7th grade choices on:
- February 4, 2020 directions to follow
7th to 8th Grade Course Selection:
7th grade Math teachers will make recommendations for eighth grade Math levels in February of 2019. Students are recommended for Algebra 8R, Algebra 8, Concepts in Algebra, or small group Math. Please refer to our Program of Studies for more information. Students will register for classes online after watching counselor presentations and discussing some course options with teachers and parents. Counselor presentations to students will be:
- March 20, 2020 directions to follow (on hold)
8th to 9th Grade Course Selection and Orientation Information:
8th grade course selection is an involved process. Counselors enjoy helping eighth graders prepare for Wellesley High School. (Parents interested in vocational programs, should contact guidance counselors to discuss options)
- January 29th, 2020: 6:45 pm. Parent Night at Wellesley High School for parents of incoming 9th graders
- February 4, 2020 and February 6, 2020: 8th grade students go by teams to tour the high school.
- February 10, 2020: Middle School counselors visit 8th grade classrooms and discuss high school schedule, class levels, and elective offerings.
- February 24, 2020-March 6, 2020: Middle School counselors meet with each eighth grader individually to review choices for high school. Students make final decisions with parent(s) or guardian(s).
- March 15, 2020: Signed (parent/guardian) verification forms due back to room 312 (on hold)