School Menu‎ > ‎

History of Reading Elementary

In 1936, voters decided to build a new school in Felchville (Reading Village) rather than repair the old school.The Reading Elementary School opened the following year.The other schools in town closed until o­nly Bailey's Mills, South Reading, and Felchville remained.Over the next few decades the number and configuration of schools changed until 1983 when the Felchville school became strictly elementary, housing grades Kindergarten through sixth. In 1989, the Woodstock Union High School District accepted Reading as it newest member.Reading updated and renovated its last remaining school (Felchville) in 1995, while maintaining the multi-age classroom philosophy.It is the o­nly remaining school of the 13 original schools serving the town of Reading.

Comments