Use Google Sheets to learn to practice solving algebraic equations.
- Works on iPad
- Click on Hourglass: Assigned by Teacher
- 1-20 Simplifying
- 21-40 Adding to Both Sides
- 41-60 Coefficients
- 61-80 Unknowns on both Sides
- 81-100 Fractions, Dividing Both Sides
- 101-120 Multiplying Both Sides
- 121-140 Brackets and Bracketed Terms
- 141-160 Factors, Adding Fractions
- 161-180 More Complex Fractions
- equation puzzles, certain number of steps, solving equations with one unknown by combining like terms
- may have limited levels without a sign in / account
- undo, lower right corner
- press play to quickly move to the next puzzle
- puzzles: 81+
- level 69 -> (uh oh) "you can make a number swap sides, it must change sign to keep the equation balanced"
- level 77 -> switch side of a negative unknown to make it positive
- level 81 -> division begins; 94 -> unknown can be a fraction
- level 101 -> multiply both sides by the same number; 104 multiply all terms by same number
- level 114 -> drag divisor up onto
- level 121 -> brackets
- question: is it too mechanical; will it transfer to paper pencil?
- 30 day free demo teacher account
- Algebra Meltdown
- solve for unknown
- some addition of negative numbers
-y + 10 = x - 7
2x + -8 = -2y - -10
- https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra-basics/core-algebra-foundations -- Detailed videos; "practice this concept" quizzes, can create account
- https://mathway.com/ - includes graph, can select how to show solution, does not show all steps without account
- https://www.wolframalpha.com/examples/EquationSolving.html - includes a graph, properties, can paste
- http://www.algebrahelp.com/calculators/equation/ - gives step by step solution, have to change two negatives in a row to positive, solves for x OR can set to any variable
- http://www.cymath.com/ - shows all steps, solves for x OR y
- http://www.quickmath.com/webMathematica3/quickmath/equations/solve/basic.jsp - solves for X OR can set to any variable, does not show all steps without account
- http://www.mathpapa.com/algebra-calculator.html - can pick variable to solve for, has graph
- Teacher or student can create account
- Game world
- Get clothing, devices, pets, experience points, etc.
- Collect "pets"
- Appears that student can override teacher selected grade level
- May have to set each student grade level individually
- Assignments are made per-student, so if a student is added, they do not seem to have the assignments of the rest of the class.
- Can set the number of problems of each type for the students.
- Animation and game play is about 75% of the game time if the student knows the answers quickly.
- Problem area
- Has calculator
- Can write on the screen to take notes
- Some of the problems are extremely wordy, even more-so than old textbooks
- Screens between worlds flash too fast to read, even for adults
- Battling random characters does not seem to work; pauses for about a minute.
- Enemies run away, not killed, but word "attack" is used
- Frequent requests for "Become A Member for Only $10/month, etc." (after every battle?)
- Annoying background music, can only be turned off in certain screens
- No obvious way to exit out of "battle" sequence, or where you might be "saved" at what point
- Does not have real tutorial after failing an answer
- Offers a reading opportunity for younger readers... but it reads most of the screens out loud, so perhaps not.