Learn to respond to computer issues.
- Plug in headphones.
- Right click and then click "Open Link in a New Window" on Campus Portal (2014).
- Arrange this window, the Campus Portal windows side by side.
- Log in to Campus Portal, and open the "Computers C" class.
- Click on the first "Troubleshooting" assignment.
- Watch the first video and answer the questions in Campus Portal.
- After finishing each assignment, raise your hand, and very politely ask your teacher to check your work.
Videos & Questions:
Watch the following videos and answer the questions in Campus Portal.
What is the window in the foreground also called?Are there fake anti-virus programs?What is the name of the free Microsoft antivirus program? What is one web site has good downloads?What program will remove malware?How much will a computer store charge to remove malware?What should you do if you are at school?What is your "new, favorite keyboard combination"?Murphy's Problem - 3 min.
- Video 1 - 1 min.
- What does "troubleshooting" mean?
- What is "Murphy's Law"? (you may look this up)
- Video 2 - 1 min.
- Why are troubleshooting skills useful?
- Why is a network connection needed?
- What is a term for "viruses or other bad programs"?
- Physical Troubleshooting - 6 min.
- What is the first step when troubleshooting?
- Where are documents often saved when you are at school?
- What should be checked first if the computer doesn't work?
- Why does the monitor cable sometimes come lose?
- What visible sign is there that a computer has power?
- Which cables should be checked?
- Normally, how many network lights are on?
- Where are two places that a network cable may be lose?
- How can you tell if a wireless connection is working?
- What should be done when an error message appears?
- When might a reboot or restart be needed?
- What should you be able to do?
- Malware Troubleshooting - 10 min.
- What is one thing that spyware could do?
- What might pop ups say?
- Are these pop-ups real?
- What happens if you click the No or Cancel button?
- What key combination will close a window?
Safely Updating Your Computer - 6 min.
- What did she do to get the computer turned on?
- Then, what is the next problem she has to fix?
- Finally, what did she update?
- What does she now know?
Computer Security - 5 min.Malware - 4 min.STOP! ASK TEACHER TO CHECK THE ASSIGNMENTS BELOW!Shopping Online QuestTroubleshooting Quiz - Raise your hand when you finish.
- What are two things that might be wrong with the DVD?
- Is it easy to contact a software manufacturer?
- When searching Google, what should go around the words?
- In Windows, after the Start button, what is next?
- Why might it be better to install or update later?
- What are risks to not having your computer up to date?
- What might cyber-criminal attacks be doing?
- Which three problems might occur if updates aren't done?
Videos 1-3 take about 40 minutes or one class period, using the questions and procedure above.