What’s happening in Mrs. Cartagena’s Classroom?
Snow Canyon Middle School
Every Warrior, Every Day, Every Opportunity
“Being a multicultural person—or at least a citizen of the world—is in the very foundation of everything we do here… whether it’s education policy or economic development policy, it’s all set in a global context these days. If you miss that point, then you’ve missed our time and place in the world today.”
- (Converge Magazine, Winter 2009) Jon M. Huntsman, Jr. Former Governor of Utah (2004-09)
Welcome to our Spanish classes!
¡Bienvenidos a nuestras classes de Español!
This year we will work on the following goals in Spanish 1:
- Students will engage in conversations, communicating in the Spanish language with an 80% proficiency.
- Students will learn about the Hispanic culture and will be able to compare with their own language.
- Students will exhibit proficiency in reading by demonstrating correct pronunciation, fluency, and comprehension at an 80% proficiency level.
- Each student will exhibit a proficiency in grammar and vocabulary in a written test withing their Spanish level with 80% proficiency.
This year we will work on the following goals in DLI Spanish 4 and DLI Spanish 5/AP Spanish:
- Students will develop a high level of proficiency in the foreign language.
- Students will develop positive attitudes toward those who speak the foreign language and toward their culture(s).
- Students will develop English language skills commensurate with expectations for student's age and abilities.
- Students will gain skills and knowledge in the content areas of the curriculum in keeping with stated objectives in these areas.
Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to Spanish 1, DLI Spanish 4, DLI Spanish 5/AP Spanish Language! I'm excited about the opportunity to get to know you, and I'm looking forward to a happy and productive school year.
Curriculum areas we will focus on this year are included in my syllabus for Spanish 1, DLI Spanish 4, and DLI Spanish 5/AP Spanish Language. You are welcome to go and check the webpage of the class that you are currently taking or want to take. It has a complete year mapping of our department projections. (This will be modified as needed).
As we advance through our curriculum we will be learning how to read, write, and speak in Spanish.
If you are absent or if you are going to be, please refer to our class syllabus to know what we are learning and email me with any questions. I will let you know what assignments you are missing and we will work out how to make up for them.
Please contact me with any questions or concerns at (435)-261-3606 or by email at email@example.com.
Let's work together to make this the best learning experience!
Katty C. Cartagena
SCMS Spanish 1, DLI Spanish 4, and DLI Spanish 5/AP Spanish Teacher