Educator, trombonist, composer/arranger, producer
Candidate for the Master of Music Education
and Certification Degree, Summer 2013
VanderCook College of Music
Welcome to my website; thank you for taking the time to visit. Please use the navigation bar on the left to find your way around. If it helps, collapse sections with multiple subheadings for easier navigation. Under Teaching Standards work samples can be viewed and downloaded that support my training and philosophies. My Master's Project page includes audio samples of the band I had the pleasure of working with. Additional projects and links can be found under the More page.
Since I began playing trombone in 1981 - inspired by my elementary
general music teacher - I have led a life fueled by the creative
intricacies of music. It is in this point in my life that I have decided to dedicate myself to the mission of passing on my love for this revered art. I look forward to your email concerning any questions or comments. Like the song goes - "Enjoy yourself; it's later than you think!"
About VanderCook College of Music
VanderCook College of
Music is the only degree-granting institution in the United States
solely dedicated to music teacher education. The mission of the college
is to enrich the lives of present and future generations through the
preparation of teachers in instrumental, choral, and general music
disciplines. Its broad-based curriculum is designed to prepare teachers
with strong character, skill in the process of teaching, and respect for
the essential role of music in our culture.
VanderCook's Conceptual Framework
The Conceptual Framework of VanderCook College of Music is built from three essential attributes: Professionalism in teaching, excellence in music, and strength in character. This framework directs the programs, courses, teachings, assessment of candidates and faculty, scholarship, service and accountability of the College as a whole. My personal experiences as a student in the MMEd program enhanced my understanding of my profession and myself with respect to each of these attributes. To see more, please go to VCM Conceptual Framework.
Personal Teaching Philosophy
1. Everyone will be given the opportunity to learn.
2. Learning is an open-ended process that is a lifelong journey. A solid start must begin in childhood.
3. Inspiration comes in many forms and it the teacher's duty to explore every avenue of expression in order to create that spark of inspiration in the student.
4. It is up to the student to want to learn, and it is up to the teacher to lead them to that decision.
5. No external or internal factors, whether it be social, economic, or cultural, can determine the success or failure of a student. It is up to the teacher to provide an equal opportunity for all.