Welcome to My Professional Portfolio
Ethan E. Bulak
BA in Jazz Studies from DePaul University
MMEd, VanderCook College of Music
Background and Credentials
Ethan Bulak is a student at VanderCook College of Music working towards a degree in Masters of Music Education with a teaching certificate. He graduated with high honors from DePaul University in 2010 with a BA in Jazz Studies. In addition to attending both DePaul and Vandercook, Ethan regularly plays trumpet in Chicago and across the country with the Funk and Soul bands Bumpus and Dance Floor Plans, as well as the wedding band Standing Room Only. He also is the adjunct instructor of trumpet at Morton College and teaches privately in the Chicagoland area.
Some of the groups and artists Ethan has performed with are: Fred Wesley, Jeff Hamilton, Phil Woods, Rufus Reid, Wycliffe Gordon, The DuPage Youth Symphony, Elgin Youth Symphony, Chicago Youth Symphony, Youth Jazz Ensemble of Dupage, DePaul Jazz Orchestra, DePaul Jazz Ensemble, Bumpus, Brent Puls, Jason Kanakis, Dance Floor Plans, Clip Art, Terrible Spaceship, The Corbin Andrick Quintet, Low Down Brass Band, Verona Red, and many more.
1. There must be a mutual respect that the students share for each other, as well as the teacher.
2. One should never quell creativity or curiosity, but, instead, foster their growth. They are two traits that are important in creating lifelong learners.
3. The environment in which the students learn must be safe and conducive to inspriration.
4. Utilizing data is essential to proper assessment of students and oneself.
5. One must seek to not only impart knowledge upon their students, but to inspire them to explore the things they love and discover the enjoyment that can be had when one pursues their dream.
6. You must love what you do.
About VanderCook College of Music
VanderCook College of Music is the only degree-granting institution in the United States solely dedicated to music teacher education. The mission of the college is to enrich the lives of present and future generations through the preparation of teachers in instrumental, choral, and general music disciplines. Its broad-based curriculum is designed to prepare teachers with strong character, skill in the process of teaching, and respect for the essential role of music in our culture.