GWSS Department Chair
Professor of Gender, Women & Sexuality Studies
Adjunct Professor, American Ethnic Studies
B110L (Department Office) Padelford Hall
FAX: 206 685-9555
- Chair of the Department of Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies
- Former Director of the National Resource Center for South Asian Studies, Jackson School of International Studies, and Chair, South Asian Studies Program
- Ph.D., Social Science, Syracuse University
- M.B.A., Indian Institute of Management
- B.A., Economics, University of Delhi
- Gender and international economic development, agricultural biotechnologies, agrarian transitions, consumption and commodity cultures, and transnational feminisms.
Selected Fellowships and Funded Projects
- Senior Research Fellowship, American Institute for Indian Studies, 2006-2007
- Royalty Research Fellowship, University of Washington, 2006-2007
- Modern Girl Around the World Research Project with Professors Tani Barlow, Madeline Dong Yue, Uta Poiger, Lynn Thomas and Alys Weinbaum; Sponsored by Simpson Center for the Humanities, Institute for Transnational Studies, the UW Graduate School, Comparative Law and Society Center, and the Allen Libraries Endowment
- Ramamurthy, Priti. 2011. "Rearticulating caste: the global cottonseed commodity chain and the paradox of smallholder capitalism in south India." Environment and Planning A, Vol. 43: p. 1035-1056.
- Bhatt, Amy, Madhavi Murty and Priti Ramamurthy. 2010. “Hegemonic Developments: New Indian Middle Class, Gendered Subalterns, and Diasporic Returnees in the event of Neoliberalism,” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society, Special Issue: Feminists Theorize International Political Economy, Vol. 36, No.1, 2010: p. 127-152.
- Ramamurthy, Priti. 2010. “Why Are Men Doing Floral Sex Work? Gender, Cultural Reproduction, and the Feminization of Agriculture,” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society, vol. 35, no. 2, 397-424.
- The Modern Girl Around the World Research Group (Alys Eve Weinbaum, Lynn M. Thomas, Priti Ramamurthy, Uta G. Poiger, Madeleine Yue Dong, and Tani E. Barlow, editors), 2008. The Modern Girl Around the World: Consumption, Modernity, and Globalization, Durham: Duke University Press.
- "All-consuming Nationalism: The Indian Modern Girl in the 1920s and 30s," 2008, in The Modern Girl Around the World Research Group (Alys Eve Weinbaum, Lynn M. Thomas, Priti Ramamurthy, Uta G. Poiger, Madeleine Yue Dong, and Tani E. Barlow, editors), The Modern Girl Around the World: Consumption, Modernity, and Globalization, Durham: Duke University Press.
- "The Modern Girl in India in the Inter-war Years: Inter-racial intimacies, International competition, and Historical eclipsing," Women's Studies Quarterly, 34, no. 1 & 2, Spring 2006, 197-226.
- "The Modern Girl Around the World: A Research Agenda and Preliminary Findings." Modern Girl Research Group (Tani Barlow, Madeleine Dong, Uta Poiger, Priti Ramamurthy, Lynn Thomas, Alys Weinbaum), Gender and History, 17, no.2, Fall 2005.
- "Towards a New Feminist Internationalism." Co-authored with Miranda Joseph and Alys Eve Weinbaum in Women's Studies for the Future: Foundations, Interrogrations, Politics, edited by Elizabeth Lapovsky Kennedy and Agatha Beins, New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2005.
- "Why is buying a 'madras' cotton shirt a political act?: A feminist commodity chain Analysis" Feminist Studies, 30, no. 3, Fall 2004.
- "Material Consumers, Fabricating Subjects: Perplexity, global discourses, and transnational feminist research practices," Cultural Anthropology 18 (4) 2003.
- "Indexing Alternatives: Feminist Development Studies and Global Political Economy", Feminist Theory, Vol. 1, (2), August 2000.
- "The Cotton Commodity Chain, Women, Work, and Agency in India and Japan: The Case for Feminist Agro-food Systems Research", World Development, Special Issue on Restructuring Agro-food systems in Asia, Vol. 28, No. 3, March 2000.
- "Rural Women and Irrigation: Patriarchy, Class, and the Modernizing State in South India," in Women Working the Environment, edited by Carolyn Sachs, New York & London, Taylor and Francis, 1997.
- GWSS 333 Gender and Globalization: Theory and Process
- GWSS 339 Social Movements in Contemporary India
- GWSS 345 Women and International Economic Development
- GWSS 539 Social Movements in Contemporary India
- GWSS 555 Feminist International Political Economy