cPRO is used in a variety of health domains, including oncology (see DHAIR
), HIV care, psychology, community health care, medication adherence, and diabetes-care.
Selected Peer-reviewed Abstracts and Publications (recent first)
- Open Source Computerized Patient Reported Outcomes: Research and Practice across Three Domains; Justin McReynolds, Heidi M. Crane, Donna L. Berry, Seth Wolpin, William B. Lober; AMIA 2013 Annual Symposium (distinguished poster award) [abstract and poster available as attachments at the bottom of this page]
- Kennedy-Sheldon L, Hilaire D, Berry DL. Provider Verbal Responses to Patient Distress Cues During Ambulatory Oncology Visits. Oncol Nurs Forum In press
- Integrating a web-based, patient-administered assessment into primary care for HIV-infected adults
Fredericksen R, Crane P, Tufano J, Ralston J, Schmidt S, Brown T, Layman D, Harrington RD, Dhanireddy S, Stone T, Lober W, Kitahata MM, Crane HM. Journal of AIDS and HIV Research Vol. 4(2), pp. 47-55, February 2012
- Kozak M, Mugavero MJ, Ye J, Aban I, Lawrence S, Nevin CR, Raper JL, McCullumsmith C, Schumacher JE, Crane HM, Kitahata MM, Saag MS, Willig JH. Patient Reported Outcomes in Routine Care: Advancing Data Capture for HIV Cohort Research. Clin Infect Dis 2011 Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Jan;54(1):141-7. PMCID: PMC3243652
- Carmen W.H. Chan, Wilson Tam, Karis K.F. Cheng, Ying Yu Chui, Winnie K.W. So, Tony Mok, Connie Wong, Justin McReynolds, Donna L. Berry, Piloting electronic self report symptom assessment – Cancer (ESRA-C) in Hong Kong: A mixed method approach, European Journal of Oncology Nursing, Volume 15, Issue 4, September 2011.
- Berry DL, Blumenstein BA, Halpenny B, et al. Enhancing patient-provider communication with the electronic self-report assessment for cancer: a randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:1029-1035.
- Migrating from a legacy fixed-format measure to CAT administration: calibrating the PHQ-9 to the PROMIS depression measures.
Gibbons LE, Feldman BJ, Crane HM, Mugavero M, Willig JH, Patrick D, Schumacher J, Saag M, Kitahata MM, Crane PK. Qual Life Res. 2011 Nov;20(9):1349-57.PMCID: PMC3175024.
- Rao, D, Feldman, BJ, Fredericksen, RJ, Crane, PK, Simoni, JM, Kitahata, MM & Crane, HM. A structural equation model of HIV-related stigma, depressive symptoms, and medication adherence. AIDS and Behavior, 2011, in press.
- Berry DL. Patient-reported symptom and quality of life assessment integrated into clinical care. Semin Oncol Nurs 2011;27:203-210.
- Wolpin, S., & Stewart, M. (January 01, 2011). A Deliberate and Rigorous Approach to Development of Patient-Centered Technologies. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 27, 3, 183-191.
- Crane, PK, Gibbons, LE, Willig JH, Mugavero, MJ, Lawrence, ST, Schumacher, JE, Saag, MS, Kitahata,MM, & Crane, HM. Measuring depression levels in HIV-infected patients as part of routine clinical care using the 9-item patient health questionnaire (PHQ-9). AIDS Care, 2010, 22(7):874-885.
- Donna L Berry, Barbara Halpenny, Seth Wolpin, B Joyce Davison, William J Ellis, William B Lober, Justin McReynolds, Jennifer Wulff. Development and Evaluation of the Personal Patient Profile-Prostate (P3P), a Web-Based Decision Support System for Men Newly Diagnosed With Localized Prostate Cancer. J Med Internet Res. 2010 Oct-Dec;
- Lawrence, ST, Willig, JH, Crane, HM, Ye, J, Aban, I, Lober, W, Nevin, C, Batey, DS, Mugavero, M, McCullumsmith, C, Wright, C, Kitahata, M, Raper, JL, Saag, MS, & Schumacher, J. Routine self-administered, touch-screen computer based suicidal ideation assessment linked to automated response team notification in an HIV primary care setting. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2010 Apr 15;50(8):1165-73.
- Wilkie D, Berry D, Cain K, et al. Effects of coaching patients with lung cancer to report cancer pain. West J Nurs Res;32:23-46.
- Tariman J, Berry D, Wolpin S. Validation and Testing of the Acceptability E-Scale for Web-based Patient Reported Outcomes in Cancer Care. Applied Nursing Research 2010.
- Fann JR, Berry DL, Wolpin S, et al. Depression screening using the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 administered on a touch screen computer. Psychooncology 2009;18:14-22.
- Crane, HM, Grunfeld, C, Harrington, RD, & MM Kitahata. Lipoatrophy and lipohypertrophy are independently associated with hypertension. HIV Medicine: 2009:10(8):496-503. PMCID: PMC2729358
- Wolpin S, Berry D, Austin-Seymour M, N. Bush, J.R. Fann, B. Halpenny, W. Lober, Ruth McCorkle. Acceptability of an Electronic Self-Report Assessment Program for patients with cancer. Comput Inform Nurs 2008;26:332-8.
- Crane, HM, Grunfeld, C, Harrington, RD, Uldall, KK, Ciechanowski, PS, & MM Kitahata. Lipoatrophy among HIV-infected patients is associated with higher levels of depression than lipohypertrophy. HIV Medicine, 2008, 9(9): 780-6.
- Crane, HM, Lober, W, Webster, E, Harrington, RD, Crane, PK, Davis, TE, & MM Kitahata. Routine collection of patient-reported outcomes in an HIV clinic setting: the first 100 patients. Current HIV Research, 2007, 5(1): 109-18.
- Distributed Health Assessment and Intervention Research Software Framework. MR Dockrey, WB Lober, SE Wolpin, LJ Rae, DL Berry. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2005
- Berry D, Trigg J, B. LW, et al. Computerized Symptom and Quality-of-Life Assessment for Patients With Cancer Part I: Development and Pilot Testing. Oncology Nursing Forum 2004;31:75-83.
- Mullen K, Berry D, Zierler B. Computerized symptom and quality assessment in radiation oncology: Part II - acceptability and usability. Oncol Nurs Forum 2004;31:E85-9.
- Mullen KH, Berry DL, Zierler BK. Computerized symptom and quality-of-life assessment for patients with cancer part II: acceptability and usability. Oncol Nurs Forum 2004;31:E84-9.
- Berry DL, Wilkie DJ, Thomas CR, Jr., Fortner P. Clinicians communicating with patients experiencing cancer pain. Cancer Invest 2003;21:374-81.
- Berry D, Ellis W, Sando A, Blasko JC. The Influence of Personal Factors in the Treatment Decisions of Men with Localized Prostate Cancer [Poster]. Chicago: AUA; 2003