Who We Are

The Moravian Church is one of the oldest Protestant denominations, dating back to 1457 in Europe and first coming to America in 1735. Moravians have a strong tradition of ecumenical work and are best known for their missionary work and rich musical heritage. 

The name "Moravian" started out as a nickname in eastern Germany in the 1720s because refugees belonging to the church came from Moravia to the estate of the wealthy Saxon nobleman Count Nicholas von Zinzendorf.

The official name of the Moravian Church is the Unitas Fratrum, or Unity of Brethren. This was the original name of the church when it was founded back in 1457 in the Bohemian forests. 

Moravians number nearly a million worldwide and stand in the mainstream of Protestantism. They have been members of the World Council of Churches since its inception. They are also active members of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. and participants in Christian Churches Together in the USA. In addition, the Northern and Southern Provinces of the Moravian Church are in full communion relationships with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) and the Episcopal Church, and in a covenant partnership with the Presbyterian Church (USA).

Moravians have always been primarily interested in serving according to local needs and cooperating with other churches as partners.

Unionville Moravian began in 1870 with a church built on the main floor and a parsonage above.  They quickly outgrew the space and built a separate church building in 1872.  Just as Moravian ancestors were ecumenically minded, Unionville has carried on the tradition, being involved with area churches in various events - from worship to fellowship.  Members at Unionville are often part of volunteer organizations from ambulance and fire to various committees helping to make this area a good place to live.