Burn Permit Request

Unionville Fire Department Burn Permit

You will be contacted by a member of the fire department to get the permit issued to them with-in 24-48 hours of submitting this burn permit request.  NOTE:  Filling out the this page DOES NOT guarantee a burn permit.
Free Hit Counters

Who Needs a Burn Permit, Who Does Not

Burn permits are issued only for:

Burn permits are NOT required:

  • Cooking or recreational campfires
  • Anytime there is continuous snow cover adjacent to your fire

Items that can never be burned due to air quality regulations:

  • Demolition debris
  • Construction materials
  • Automotive parts

Laws, Safety and Alternatives

Persons may burn solid waste from a one or two family dwelling in an approved
home incinerator,as long as it is not prohibited by local ordinance and it does
not create a smoke or odor nuisance.

An approved container is one constructed of metal or masonry and a covering
device with openings no larger than ¾ inch. If not properly maintained to this
standard burning in an unapproved container requires a permit and solid waste
from a household may not be burned.

Remember, you can be held responsible for the cost of putting the fire out if it
escapes and for any property damage.

Keep vegetation clear in a 10 foot circle around your burn barrel.

Know the current fire and weather conditions. Do not burn on windy days or
during periods of dry weather.

Burning shortly after a rainfall or in the evenings is the safest.

Stay with your fire until it is out.

Burn barrels do not provide good combustion of household waste. The smoke
emitted consists of a number of chemicals that can be irritating or harmful.
Chemicals commonly detected in burn barrel smoke include dioxins, benzene,
styrene, formaldehyde, furans, PCBs, lead, mercury, and arsenic.

Consider recycling as an alternative to burning your household's solid waste. 
Click here to Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) recycling pages.

Composting yard waste in your back yard is an inexpensive way to turn leaves
and grass clippings into compost that can be used to enhance garden soil or for
mulch in landscaping.
For more information go to:

Review the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality's 
"Burning Household Waste" brochure by clicking here.
Or go to www.epa.gov/msw/backyard.