- The status of Life Member is conferred upon those persons who have been approved for membership by a Chartered Chapter of this society and who have paid the initiation fee for membership.
- The status of Voting member is conferred upon those Life Members who maintain a current subscription to Sociological Inquiry, official journal of the United Chapters of Alpha Kappa Delta.
- Please fill out a AKD Membership Renewal Form to be an active member
- Eligibility for membership is determined by the respective Chapter according to criteria that meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program of the host institution.
- Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of the host institution.
- Must have accumulated the equivalent of an overall GPA of 3.0 (by a four point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0) and rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at the host institution prior to initiation.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).
For students classified as graduate students (those officially admitted to graduate study in sociology at the host institution), the following specific requirements must have been met prior to the time of initiation: completion of one half year of graduate study in sociology (i.e., one semester or two quarters or the equivalent academic unit) with a graduate GPA of B or better, and continued matriculation in a program of study leading toward a graduate degree in sociology at the host institution.
For staff members of the host institution, formal conferral of the Ph.D. in sociology or employment as a sociologist are required prior to initiation, provided they meet the other requirements set forth above.
Students: Please note that membership can only be obtained through a chapter. If you are a student, please contact the chapter representative at your institution for more information. Please contact the Executive Office if you do not know who your chapter representative is. If you are interested in establishing a chapter, please click here. The chapter application form must also be completed by a faculty member.