The Chicago Collaborative
Addressing the Grand Challenges & Opportunities of Scholarly
February 4, 2009, updated April 25, 2016
1) How is the Chicago Collaborative different from other efforts to encourage regular ongoing discussions among publishers and librarians?
The Collaborative brings together representatives from
STM publisher, editor, and librarian organizations to discuss
challenging issues, educational efforts, and recommendations that
highlight commonalities and a shared purpose that centers on broad issues
of scholarly scientific communication. The specialized subject focus
provides a shared background and showcases the spirit of cooperation and
collaboration prominent among organizations of STM, editors, and
2) How will this effort be sustained in the future?
One of the goals of the Chicago Collaborative is to
develop sustainable mechanisms for ongoing conversations and actions
among STM publisher, editor, and librarian communities that do not
follow the traditional buyer/seller models. The Collaborative operates as an enhancement to existing publisher/editor user advisory
boards and librarian sponsored forums. Each member organization contributes to the funding needed to hold two meetings per year, including fees for facilities, speakers, meals and administrative support.
3) Why is AAHSL the sponsoring organization of the Collaborative?
AAHSL is the organization which hosted the first planning
meeting that led to establishment of the Chicago Collaborative. AAHSL
members serve in key positions in academic health centers whose faculty
and administrators make choices directly affecting the scholarly
scientific communication process. Representatives at the May 22, 2008, planning meeting requested that AAHSL serve as the initial sponsoring
organization until a sustainable infrastructure is established.
4) Where can I find Chicago Collaborative documents, statements, recommendations?
Documentation is available on the Chicago Collaborative
website under the About and Resources tabs.
5) How can I contact the Chicago Collaborative if I have questions or comments?
6) Who are the founding organizations of the Chicago Collaborative?
Email the co-convenors
The following are the founding organizations of the Chicago Collaborative: