What is M+Box?
- M+Box: http://box.it.umich.edu
- M+Box is file storage with a few “extras” (sync, updates, etc.)
- NOTE: Sensitive information (e.g. Patient records or ePHI) should Not be stored in M+Box
- 50 GB of cloud storage
- Access the files via any web browser, smartphone, tablet, or your computer
- Can synchronize your files to your computer
- No setup process. Already configured.
- How is M+Box different from CTools?
- CTools has:
- class-specific stuff
- and is the official repository of information
- file storage for resources (this is where Box is similar)
- Computers/iPads/etc can access M+Box through variety of methods
- Web access through any browser
- Box App on iPad/Android
- WebDAV (https://www.box.com/dav)
- Note taking software (e.g. Notability)
Section 1: Accessing M+Box
Please complete these steps using your computer or a lab computer:
- First login to: http://box.it.umich.edu
- Level-1 (UMICH) password
- Next subscribe by clicking the appropriate link:
- M1 2013-2014 Resources: https://umich.app.box.com/signup/collablink/d_1016462113/3d605b836fcb3
- M2 2013-2014 Resources: https://umich.app.box.com/signup/collablink/d_1016466423/3762432f6296d
- You should be in the appropriate “MX 2013-2014 Resources” folder (the folder structure shows up at the top of the screen: All Files > MX 2013-2014 Resources
- You MAY need to set an External Password for some applications. To do this:
- Click My Account
- Select Account Settings
- At the bottom, Create External Password
- Enter same password twice
- Click Save
- (For iPad users) You will need to create a folder for the iPad notes to be stored if using Notability. Other apps may not require this step.:
- Click Files
- Click New
- Select New Folder
- Enter your folder a name: (e.g., My Files)
- Under Collaboration, set as “Keep Private for Now”
- Click the “Okay” button
- You should now see “My Files” on your Box file list
Section 2: Change your Notification Preferences!
You will get a lot of email from Box if you do not change your email preferences!
- Starting at My Account, choose Account Settings
- Select the Notifications tab. You can set your email preferences to whatever you want. The image below shows all unchecked except for one daily digest email.
- Click Save when finished configuring.
Section 3: Box Sync
Please complete this step using your personal computer:
Box Sync is a simple tool that runs on your computer to keep folders synchronized between the cloud and your desktop.
- Download the Box Sync program to your personal computer to synchronize files between M+Box and a folder on your desktop.
- Click My Account
- Select Get Box Sync
- Click the “Box Sync” button (may not work for older operating systems
- Download and install the Box Sync Installer to Mac or PC
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install
- To login to Box Sync:
- Click the “Use Single Sign On” link, as pictured below:
- Enter your Umich email address in the form of firstname.lastname@example.org (NOT med.umich.edu). Click Continue:
- The main UM Weblogin form will open. Enter your uniqname and Level-1 (UMICH) password and click Log In.
- If successful, you should see this screen indicating your email@example.com account has logged in:
- You will now have to go back to the browser.
- You will be able to designate which folders and files you want copied to your desktop, but you have to be an editor or owner.
NOTE: You will not be able to sync the “MX 2013-2014 Resources” folder to your desktop, at this time. But you can download files from it, and place into your “My Files” folder, which will keep them organized and synchronized.
- Find your “My Files” folder. Click the triangle for drop down
- Select Sync Folder to Desktop
Section 4: Notability App (Optional for iPad)
Hands On: Please complete this step using your iPad:
- Purchase Notability ($1.99): http://www.gingerlabs.com/
- You may start in a tutorial,
- if so, finish the tutorial and click the Library icon
- if not, you may be at the All Notes section
- Now you will have to choose where to get your files
- Tap the Settings icon (lower right, looks like a gear)
- Select Cloud Services -> Box
- Enter your email address in the form of firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do not enter your password
- Hit Log-In
- You will be taken to the UM Weblogin Form
- Enter your Uniqname
- Level-1 Password
- Click Login
- Click Done. The menu will close, but we need to go back into it.
- Set up Auto Sync to automatically backup your pdf documents
- Tap the Settings (gear) icon again.
- At the top of the window, the Auto Sync section should be currently set to OFF. Tap the words “Autosync = Off” and the “Choose Sync Destination” window will pop up.
- Select Box
- Select the “My Files” folder you created earlier in Section 1, step 4
- Tap the blue box in the upper right corner labeled “Sync to /My Files”
- Select PDF from the “Choose Sync Format” window
- Now, you will be back at the “Choose Sync Destination” window. Scroll down to see the “Select Subjects to Sync,” section. By default, the Unfiled folder is not synched. Select “Unfiled” to make this autosync, too.
- Tap the blue Done box in the upper right corner. Now all files that you download and edit will be stored in your M+Box \My Files folder automatically.
- Open a new file
- In the upper right corner of Notability will be a small rectangle with an arrow pointing inside of it. This is the “Import From” button. Tap it.
- A small menu will appear with Dropbox, Box, iDisk, and WebDAV. Select Box.
- In the “Import from Box” window, select the “M1 2013-2014 Resources” folder
- Navigate to the “Patients and Populations” folder
- Select a file
- In the Import PDF window, select “Create new note.”
- In the Select Page Range window, tap OK. This will open the document to be edited.
- Editing/Notetaking on the PDF document
- Explore the tools and mark up the document. The tools are located in the upper middle right and are: text typing, pencil, highlighter, eraser, and scissors for cutting and pasting.
- When you are finished, tap the Library icon (located in the upper left with a small bookshelf image on it).
- Organizing in Folders
- When you return to the Library, your note is in the Unfiled category which is not backed up by default, unless you change it in Section 4, step 4g. You may want to categorize the note.
- Tap the + icon in the upper left near the word Unfiled. This will open an Organize window.
- Type “Patients and Populations” without quotes in the box and tap Done on the keyboard. You now are in that folder.
- Tap the word Unfiled, and you will see your PDF
- Tap the Edit button (upper left corner) and you will be able to drag and drop that PDF into the Patients and Populations folder.
- Click Done after moving the file
- It may not autosync until you open and close the file again. Autosync will show at the bottom of the screen.