Note: While setup instructions are provided below, Google Mail IMAP access is not officially supported for BlackBerry devices at this time.
Setup step-by-step procedure (with screen shots)
To set up the BlackBerry email client with Google Apps email (IMAP), just follow these steps:
- Make sure that IMAP is enabled on your Google Apps Mail Account.
- On your Blackberry device, navigate to your home screen
- Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called Setup, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, BlackBerry Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up)
- Follow the setup instructions provided on your device to create a new e-mail account
- Choose “Other” for Account type.
- Enter your full umich email address for the email address and enter an incorrect password.
- Click Continue.
- After receiving an error, you will see a link that says “I will provide the settings”. Click that link.
- Enter the following information:
When you see the “Setup complete” screen, click Close.
- Email Type: POP3/IMAP
- Email Address: your full umich email address (email@example.com)
- Password: Enter your UMICH password
- Email Server: imap.gmail.com
- Username: your full umich email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If setup is successful, you should receive a confirmation message and a new mailbox icon should appear on your device's home screen, labeled with your Google Apps email address.
If you encounter a problem during setup, please make sure you have enabled IMAP in your main Google Apps Mail settings.