What Types of Courses are Offered by Dual Enrollment?

Course offerings by Dual Enrollment include core academic courses such as English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and World Languages.  In addition to academic courses, students may select elective courses in any area approved by the Georgia Department of Education and Georgia Student Finance Commission.  There are hundreds of dual enrollment course options. Students at Union County High School are currently enrolled in fine arts, criminal justice, medical, welding, cosmetology, culinary, technology, and engineering courses.  All courses completed while enrolled in college count for both high school and college credit.

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement (AP) classes?

After successfully completing a college course, a student is awarded college credit and a grade, which will appear on the college transcript. With an Advanced Placement (AP) course, a student must pay for and pass a standardized exam with a score of 3 or higher (most colleges prefer a 4 or 5) to possibly receive college credit for the course taken. In fact, there are AP courses approved to be taken under Dual Enrollment, taught by Certified AP and college credentialed instructor. In this case, students would get both AP and college credit.  

How Much Does Dual Enrollment Cost?

The tuition, textbooks, and instructional materials for Dual Enrollment Courses are FREE for up to 15 credit hours of coursework per semester.  There are some specialized online courses through eCore that may require laboratory and materials fees, some online courses require a mid-term and final exam proctoring fee, and Young Harris College does require a $100 per semester parking fee for students attending classes on campus.

Will Dual Enrollment Count Against the HOPE Scholarship or HOPE Grant Credit Hours Cap?

No, participating in the Dual Enrollment program will not count against the HOPE credit hour cap. In fact, the general education or core classes taken under Dual Enrollment count for the HOPE scholarship rigor requirement.  As of July 1, 2013, Dual Enrollment courses now have the same Hope Scholarship and Grant GPA calculation .5 weight as AP or IB courses.

What Happens if a Student Decides to Drop or Withdraw from a Dual Enrollment Course or Fails a Course?

If a student drops a course within the drop/add period at the beginning of a semester, he or she simply drops the college course and enrolls in a high school course.  If a student withdraws from a course within the withdrawal period and after the drop/add period, the course counts toward the number of attempted college hours and the student enrolls in a high school course.  The student receives a W for the course. Students must complete 67% of the courses they attempt to remain in good academic standing with the college and the Georgia Finance Commission who funds the courses.  If a student drops below a 67% completion rate, he or she may take courses for a semester on probation to earn additional credits to reach the required 67% rate.  If a student withdraws after the withdrawal period, he or she will receive a WF which counts as an F on his or her high school and college transcripts.  If a student fails a course, he or she must sit-out from dual enrollment one semester.  The F from the failure counts on both the college and high school transcript.  A student may retake the course, but the F will still appear on both transcripts.

Jill Olson,
Feb 5, 2019, 5:02 AM