Why are we changing an already very strong program?
● Our math curriculum is changing to align with the new state standards, which are titled the Pennsylvania Core Standards.
● These rigorous standards require our students to be strong mathematical thinkers and problem solvers as well as being fluent in basic skills and in other skill areas.
● The new state standards will be assessed on the PSSA starting in the 2014-2015 school year.
Why Math in Focus?
● All students will be challenged with an increased emphasis on problem solving and thinking skills.
● Math in Focus-Singapore Math has the resources needed to prepare our students to excel in math with the new Pennsylvania Core Standards' expectations.
● Instruction will be highly focused and involve more concrete experiences at all levels.
● Students will be challenged to solve very difficult problems, requiring them to apply their math skills in novel ways.
● Problem solving and application are well balanced with skill development as basic skills fundamental are emphasized throughout the curriculum.
● This curriculum will prepare our students for Algebra when they are ready to take it.
● Singapore students excel in math with this curriculum as measured by international benchmarks.