José Luis, Antonio, David, and Diego got the 1st prize in Mathematics, in the contest Science on Stage, Algeciras, October 7-9, 2016.
“Let’s play to classify surfaces!” is an educative project based on the construction and analysis of surfaces from a topological viewpoint. Starting with manipulative activities, it is developed up to their study with computational softwares, such as Mathematica or virtual reality (VR).
- Introduce the concept of topological surface and their main properties.
- Identify both orientable and non-orientable surfaces.
- Understand related concepts such as triangulation, boundary and genus of a surface.
- Extend Euler’s formula for convex polyhedron to more elaborated surfaces (orientable and non-orientable).
- Develop handicrafts and visual skills.
- Stimulate deductive and inductive reasoning.
- Connecting mathematics with arts by demonstrating
the aesthetic / artistic / creative potentials in various surfaces.
The proposed activities for this project are:
- Design of surfaces with a wide variety of materials: paper, clay, fruits, soap bubbles,3D Polyfelt, and so on.
- Study of the most important properties of topological surfaces: Euler-Poincaré’s characteristic, orientability, boundary, genus, which lead us to classify them.
- Visualization of real-time images in surfaces with Mathematica.
- Use of VR technology to manipulate and travel through surfaces.
- Construction of a huge surface with pictures of all the components of the project.
- Artistic / creative experiments with the
A resume of such activities can be seen in the album and the software of Virtual Reality presented in Science on Stage.
Our team has two Virtual Reality headsets: HTC Vive and Oculus Rift with "Leap Motion", for the virtual manipulation and total inmersion in surfaces.
For further information, appearance in newspapers, TV interviews, etc. please visit the latest news
The development of this project during the academic course 2016-2017 will be carried out in the following steps:
- Preparation and elaboration of materials (November 2016-January 2017)
- Realization of activities (February-April 2017).
- Implementation in the web of the activities (May 2017).
- Final evaluation and delivery of accreditations (June 2017).
- Media campaign of the results (June-September 2017).
To participate in this project, please fill this registration form
before November 15th, 2016.
For some activities we will recommend the use of the material 3d Polyfelt, that you can order in the registration form. Further exhibitions of Virtual Reality can also be organized under request.
- José Luis Rodríguez Blancas (Matemáticas, Universdad de Almería)
- David Crespo Casteleiro (IES Ciudad de Dalías, Almería)
- Dolores Jiménez Cárdenas (CEIP San Fernando, Almería)
- Antonio Zarauz Moreno (Matemáticas, UAL)
- Diego Cangas Moldes (Informática, UAL)