If you use Outlook 2003 or 2007, you may elect to install and use the Google Apps Sync tool. This plug-in will automatically create an IMAP connection and syncrhonize your email as well as your calendar and contacts. More information and instructions on installing this tool can be found at: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=23333.
To configure Outlook to received copies of your email via an IMAP connection follow these instructions:
1. Enable POP/IMAP access for your UAHuntsville Google Mail account.
2. Open Outlook and add a new mail account. (Typically this is under the menu item Tools > Account Settings, but may vary depending on your Outlook version.)
3. Setup you email client using the instructions that Google provides for your client version: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=75726
(See the following pages for Outlook 2007 instructions example.)
Remember to use your Charger ID credentials and official email address when configuring the IMAP!
Your email account is: email@example.com
Your Google Apps user name is your full email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Your password is your Charger ID password (unless you have changed the password in Google settings).
If you have questions, please contact the TAG at email@example.com or 256-824-3333.
1. Complete Step 1 above. (Enable IMAP access for your UAHuntsville Google Mail account.)
2. Open Outlook.
3. At the top of your screen select ‘Tools,’ then select ‘Account Settings’:
4. Under the E-mail tab, select ‘New’:
6. Select the 'Manually configure server settings or additional server types' checkbox and click ‘Next’:
7. Select ‘Internet E-Mail,’ then select ‘Next’:
9. On the ‘General’ tab and type the name by which you want to refer to this account (this will be the name of the folder set in the sidebar):
10. Click the ‘Outgoing Server’ tab. Make sure that 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication' is selected. The radio button 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server' should also be selected:
11. Click the ‘Advanced’ tab and set the incoming and outgoing server connections:
12. You will be returned to the main window. Click the ‘Test Account Settings’ button:
If it is successful, you will get a message:
If it is not successful, you can contact TAG (256-824-3333 or firstname.lastname@example.org for help.)
13. At the bottom click ‘Next’ then ‘Finish.’
14. You will now see a folder set in your sidebar with the name you provided in the ‘General’ tab. This is where your new mail will be directed. You can move the inbox to your Favorite Folders if you like. Also, make sure to check the Spam and Junk Mail folders occasionally for misdirected mail.