- DNA is found in all living things and carries the genetic code for their characteristics
- DNA can replicate to pass its genetic information to newly formed cells.
- DNA serves as a template for making proteins.
- Proteins are substances essential to life.
- Mutations in DNA result in changes in proteins that can be advantageous, detrimental, or neutral (have not effect) to individual organisms and their species.
- Similarities in DNA show relatedness of organisms.
National Science Standards
Standard A: Science as Inquiry
- students should develop abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry
Standard C: Biological Science
- students should develop understanding of the cell
- students should develop understanding of the molecular basis of heredity
- students should develop understanding of biological evolution