Quick Links

Faculty/Staff Only

Gifted Services‎ > ‎

FAQ: Registration and Scheduling

Q: How is a student typically identified as gifted at Corona del Sol?
A: Students scoring in the 97th percentile on the CogAT when taken in 8th grade are identified as gifted. Certain other exams, such as the PSAT, when taken in future years, may also be used to identify gifted students. Prior gifted placement is honored as well upon receipt of the original test scores on a state-approved measure.
Q: How is eligibility for Honors coursework determined for freshmen? 
A: A score at or above the 77th percentile the Verbal area of the CogAT indicates eligibility for Honors coursework in English and Social Studies. Ultimate placement in math and science is dependent on math level and midterms and finals taken while in 8th grade.
Q: May a student scoring lower than 77 on the CogAT enroll in Honors English or social studies freshman year? 
A: No. In order to preserve the rigor of the Honors program, freshmen scoring below the 77th percentile may not enroll in Honors coursework. Questions regarding this rule must be directed to the registrar.
Q: Is it possible to move from regular to Honors classes at a later point? 
A: Yes. In most cases, students earning a solid A (95%+) in a regular course may be recommended by their current teacher for an Honors course in that academic area the following year. No other movement upward (to Honors, AP, et. al.) is allowed at any other time. 
Q: What are the benefits of taking classes with weighted rank status (i.e., Honors and AP courses)? 
A: In addition to the increased rigor and content of the course, these classes offer excellent university preparation. While there is no advantage for students in weighted courses when it comes to the calculating of grade point averages (an A is 4.0 points, whether it is earned in a regular or weighted course), one extra rank point is awarded to students earning C’s or better in a weighted course, thus causing these students typically to be ranked higher than their peers in regular courses. 
Q: How is the grade point average (GPA) calculated?
A: Corona del Sol uses the common 4.0 scale in determining GPA (A=4; B=3; C=2; D=1; F,W/F,I=0). The grade point average is actually the mean, calculated by totaling all points earned each semester and dividing that sum by the number of semester classes completed/attempted. 
Q: How is class rank figured?
A: At the end of each semester when course credit is issued, students are awarded rank points for their grades in each class, to a maximum of 3.0 credits (six 0.5 credit classes) each semester, as follows: A=4; B=3; C=2; D=1; F,W/F,I=0. Students earn one additional rank point for each grade of C or higher in a weighted rank course (AP, Honors, et. al.) If a student exceeds the 3.0 credit limit for a given semester, rank points accumulated in courses will be applied to the class rank in the following order: (1) NCAA core courses (with an underlined course title in the Curriculum Catalog), from those earning the most points to those earning the least; and then (2) non-core courses, again from most to least points. This means that points earned from NCAA core courses will always be drawn into the figuring of class rank prior to those from non-core classes, regardless of point values. (Class Rank 101)
Q: Are teacher changes allowed? 
A: No. Due to staffing and issues of equity, every attempt is made to ensure that class sizes remain balanced. Only if a student has had the teacher in a prior school year and only if the student was academically unsuccessful with that teacher will requests for a teacher change be considered.
Q: May I switch my lunch period? 
A: No. In order to maintain balance, students may not select their lunch period. The only requests that may be considered are those submitted with a note from a physician detailing the need for lunch at a certain time due to medical reasons.
Q: Are students able to request changes to their scheduled course selections? 
A: Yes and no. Provided there is a seat available in the new course, students may request a level change, from honors to regular or vice versa, if eligible, within the two weeks (10 days) of the school year or at the change to second semester. The student would complete an add/drop form, available in the guidance office, obtain the signature of the parent(s) and teacher(s), and then return the form to the counselor to affect the change. After the ten days, it is too late to change levels.  Elective changes are NOT allowed. The school staffs teachers based on student requests, so students are strongly encouraged to choose electives carefully each year at registration time. Students dropping an elective class will be placed in study hall (or given the option of taking a release with parental permission, if the student is a senior).
Q: When are students allowed to withdraw from (or drop) a class? 
A: Students withdrawing from a class within the first ten weeks of a semester will be placed in study hall, with no credit issued for the class and no record of the course on the student’s transcript. Students who drop a class after the first ten weeks of a semester will receive a “W/F” (Withdrawal/Failure) on their transcript. This is considered an F (0.0) in calculating student GPA and class rank.
Q: Is high school credit awarded for any courses taken prior to freshman year? 
A: Students entering a TUHSD high school from a middle school with coursework in math or Spanish may earn credit. Students scoring at least 70% on each semester exam for middle school Algebra 1-2 and/or Geometry receive credit. Students scoring at least 80% on the Spanish Placement Test receive credit, as do those who score 70-79% on this test in addition to successfully completing Spanish 3-4 at Corona with a grade of C or better. Beginning with the graduating Class of 2015, any and all such credit earned in middle school will be listed on the transcript with letter grades earned, but these will not be included in the high school GPA or class rank. Students coming from outside our traditional "feeder" middle schools who did not take our exams in 8th greade must arrange to take them on our campus to earn credit on the high school transcript and to advance to the next level.
Q: What happens when a student retakes a course? 
A: Both letter grades will remain on the transcript to indicate both attempts in the course; however, only the higher of the two grades is used in the calculation of the student’s GPA and class rank. Credit for a non-repeatable course may only be earned once. Therefore, retaking a course may improve the grade, GPA, and class rank, but it would not earn the student additional credit.
Q: Are Honors or AP classes available in summer school? 
A: No. Only regular level courses are offered in summer school, and most of these are from the list of courses required for high school graduation. Just a handful of electives are offered in summer school.
Q: Is it possible to test out of a course? 
A: Students are allowed only one attempt to test out of any course for which all prerequisites have been met but only before entering the class on the first day. A separate exam will be given for each 0.5 credit, and students will receive a Pass/Fail score that will not be used for GPA or class ranking. Students must demonstrate competencies at a level of not less than 80%, and any score below this will cause an F to be placed on the student’s transcript. Visit your counselor for more details.
Q: What is the accelerated math and science option? 
A: This option is available only to students who have been identified as gifted in the appropriate area. At certain levels, students may, with parental and Corona staff approval, enroll in a face-to-face, summer math or science class of an advanced level at a community college or university in order to move on to the next course in the math sequence when returning in the fall. The summer course is not used for high school credit, GPA, or class rank. Gifted students should feel free to visit the gifted coordinator for more information.