History/Historia

In English

In the early 1950’s the area of Highland Park was a portion of a school district known as District #35.  Due to a baby boom following World War II, availability of federal funding as a result of the 1951 flood and the crowded condition of the school district, two new elementary schools were built.  Highland Park North and Highland Park South were constructed in 1955 at a cost of $316,500.00 per school.  At that time reversal of the floor plan was the only difference between the two schools.  The Highland Park District #35 was annexed into U.S. D. 501 in 1958.

The first principal of Highland Park South Elementary was Mr. Wayne Jones.  He was principal from 1955 through the 1974-75 school year.  With the beginning of the 1975-1976 school year, Mr. Bart Dever became principal and remained at Highland Park South for 6 years.  Following Mr. Dever was Mr. Carroll Sprague who became principal beginning with the 1981-82 school year.  He also remained 6 years.  During the 1987-88 school year, Dr. Harriet Johnson was the first female principal at HPS.  Following her was Dr. Woody Houseman who was principal from 1988-1994.  While Dr. Houseman was principal, the school name changed to Ross Elementary School.  Mr. Martin Gies was the following principal from 1994-2001.  Next, Mr. Jeff  Soltez came to Ross, as principal, from Washington State.  He was the principal from 2001-2003.  Mr. Russ Hutchins who came from Coffeyville, Kansas was the principal at Ross from 2004-05.  In 2005, Mr. David “Nick” Nichols came to Ross as principal and served until 2012.  Ms. Annette Kenoly served as principal from 2012-2015.   Mrs. Rebecca Kramer is  the current principal as of 2015.
 
The first addition to Highland Park South was completed in 1958 when classrooms were added to the northwest wing of the building.  In 1968 a second wing was added including a physical education room and air conditioning.  In 1970 one of the largest media centers in the district was added.  In 2002 the district added a second grade classroom in compliance with the bond issue that was passed.  At that time the district also updated the communication wiring in the building, which included telephone and computer drops.  During this construction the entire building was air conditioned.  During the 2011-2012 school year, other major classroom additions  were made to the building one of which connected it to Eisenhower Middle School.  Ross and Eisenhower became co-campus schools with a musical signature being adopted for both.
 
Highland Park South was renamed Ross Elementary in November of 1993.  The school was dedicated to Merrill and Barbara Ross in recognition for their years of service to the district and the community.  Merrill Ross was the district’s first black principal of a previously all white school.  Barbara Ross was an elementary teacher in U.S.D. 501 for 24 years.  Her last 18 years were spent at Highland Park South as a kindergarten teacher.
En Español

A principios de la década de 1950 la zona de Highland Park era una parte de un distrito escolar conocido como Distrito # 35. Debido al "baby boom" después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, con la disponibilidad de fondos federales como resultado de las inundaciones de 1951 y la condición concurrida del distrito escolar, se construyeron dos nuevas escuelas primarias. Highland Park North y Highland Park South se construyeron en 1955 a un costo de $ 316,500.00 por escuela. En ese tiempo la la única diferencia entre las dos escuelas eran los planos invertidos. El Highland Park Distrito # 35 fue anexada a USD 501 en 1958.
 
El primer director de Highland Park Elementary South fue el Sr. Wayne Jones. Fue director de 1955 hast el año escolar 1974 -1975. Con el inicio del año escolar 1975-1976, el Sr. Bart Dever se convirtió en director y se mantuvo en Highland Park South durante 6 años. Después del Sr. Dever, el Sr. Carroll Sprague fue el director a partir del año escolar 1981-82. También permaneció 6 años. Durante el año escolar 1987-88, la  Dra. Harriet Johnson fue la primera directora femenina en HPS. Después de ella, le siguió el  Dr. Woody Houseman quien fue director desde 1988 hasta 1994. Mientras el Dr. Houseman fue director, el nombre de la escuela cambió a la Escuela Primaria Ross. El Sr. Martin Gies fue el siguiente director de 1994 al 2001. Luego, el Sr. Jeff Soltez vino a Ross como director, desde el estado de Washington. Él fue director del 2001 al 2003. El Sr. Russ Hutchins vino de Coffeyville, Kansas y fue el director de Ross 2004-2005. En 2005, el Sr. David "Nick" Nichols llegó a Ross como director y sirvió hasta 2012. La Sra. Annette Kenoly se desempeñó como directora del 2012 a 2015.  La Sra. Kramer es actualmente la directora desde el 2015.
 
La primera ampliación a Highland Park South se terminó en 1958 cuando se añadieron  aulas al parte noroeste del edificio. En 1968 se añadió una segunda parte incluyendo una salón de  educación física y el aire acondicionado. En 1970 se añadió uno de los centros de medios de comunicación más grandes del distrito. En 2002 el distrito añadió un  salón de clases para segundo grado conforme a la emisión de bonos que se aprobó. En ese momento el distrito también actualizó el cableado de comunicación en el edificio, que incluía entregas de teléfono y  computadoras. Durante esta construcción el edificio ya contaba con aire acondicionado. Durante el año escolar 2011-2012, se realizaron otras incorporaciones importantes de aulas en el edificio, uno de los cuales lo conecta con Eisenhower Middle School. Ross y Eisenhower se convirtieron en escuelas unidas con una firma musical adaptada para ambas escuelas. 

Highland Park South cambió su nombre a Ross Elementary en noviembre de 1993. La escuela fue dedicada a Merrill y Barbara Ross en reconocimiento por sus años de servicio al distrito y a  la comunidad. Merrill Ross fue el primer director moreno del distrito que venía de una escuela donde todos eran blancos. Barbara Ross fue una maestra de primaria en U.S.D. 501 durante 24 años. Sus últimos 18 años los pasó en Highland Park South como maestra de kínder.