The origin of the Department traces back to 1906 when the Central Farm was established in the then Madras Agricultural College, Coimbatore. Since then Central Farm had been functioning as a component of Department of Agronomy, Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore. The division embraced the Wetlands, Eastern Block, Yard and Farm Cattle and Dairy units and served to provide adequate facilities for accomplishing research and extension priorities with enabled, competent and motivated workforce that actively achieves the mission and vision of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. On 14.02.2003, the Central Farm was made independent of Department of Agronomy along with Animal Husbandry unit giving birth to Central Farm Unit with a challenge to generate and apply knowledge about crops; find and implement answers to problems and opportunities concerning efficiency and sustainability of crop production; study the interactions among cropping systems, climate and the environment. With an objective to cope up with the extensive research programmes, the current departmental structure, the Department of Farm Management was established on 1st April, 2010 as a functional component of the Directorate of Crop Management with the Wetlands, Eastern Block and Yard leaving the Animal husbandry unit to function as Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.