Department of Agricultural Economics
Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India.
The Department of Agricultural Economics had its beginning in the year 1943 as a unit of the Agronomy section of the Madras Agricultural College at Coimbatore. Based on the recommendations of the Committee of Agricultural Education, it started functioning as a full-fledged department from April 1, 1961 at Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore and later attached to the Faculty of Agriculture with the formation of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University on June 1, 1971.
Economic theories and applied economics courses were offered to undergraduate programme during the early years. Spurt in market demand particularly in government, academic and banking sectors for graduates with specialization in Agricultural Economics and opportunities for overseas studies justified the start of postgraduate programme during 1962 and subsequently the doctoral programmes in 1967. Capacity building was the foremost objective during this period and in order to cater the requirements, many faculty members were trained in leading USA and UK universities under Ford Foundation Grant. Former faculty members and students currently hold leading positions as economists both at national and international levels.