- Languages: Java, C++, (Ada, Fortran,
Basic, various assembly languages), SQL, script writing (Perl, Bourne and C
- Operating Systems: Unix, Windows (Vista, XP, and DOS)
- Computer Types: Scientific work
stations, supercomputers, PC desktops and lap tops - - networked and
- Application Development: Anomaly
detection software, databases development, various scientific applications
- Applications: Web browsers (Firefox,
Explorer, . . .) and search engines, Microsoft Outlook and Office (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint), Quicken, Turbo Tax, email (including interface to various
providers and dealing with attachments, contacts, saving and retrieving email,
dealing with junk mail), calendar management, file management. Customizing
- Basics: Terminology, “help” options,
components (memory, hard drives, external drives and devices including
printers, scanners, cameras, cell phones, PDAs, . . . ). Downloads/uploads and
backing up personal data. Advice on purchasing hardware and software.
- Security Issues: Handling viruses
and other threats, firewalls, password issues, securing personal information.
- Maintenance: Backup, recovery,
restore points, disk cleanup, defragmenting, finding and installing updates,
security issues (including software to prevent viruses). Trouble shooting.
- Users: From entry level to expert