1. Students will demonstrate understanding of history
a. Heritage of United States by regions (Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, Northwest, West)
b. Describe history of Iowa from Louisiana Purchase to the present
c. Trace the journey of Lewis and Clark
2. Students will demonstrate understanding of government/political science
a. Our country's government
1. Three branches of government
b. Knowledge of government leaders
3. Students will demonstrate understanding of geography
a. Identify states in each region of the United States
b. Use latitude and longitude to locate given points on a map/globe
c. Use map scales to determine distances
d. Read road maps
e. Follow directions (N, S, E, W) on maps
f. Locate important cities and towns in Iowa
4. Students will demonstrate understanding of economics
a. How we make our economy strong in United States
b. Knowledge of free enterprise
c. Describe farm equipment and its effect on economic development in early Iowa development
d. Compare land prices of early Iowa land and today
e. Describe the impact of technology in economic development in Iowa
Developmental Standards for All Grades
1. Students will be able to interact well with all people, appreciate cultural diversity, and work cooperatively.
2. Students will be able to apply thinking, research, and communication skills to the social sciences.
3. Students will be able to function properly as a citizen of your community, state, and nation.
4. Students will be able to relate current events to past, future, and current life and heritage.
Social Studies >