In 1992, Taylorville high school was a member of the Apollo Conference. During the basketball season that school year, parents Dave Hixenbaugh and Bill Lykins would occasionally pass the time during the long trips to Robinson, Paris, and Newton discussing some of the rich and colorful history of Taylorville athletics. They shared how important it seemed to keep alive the history, the traditions and the personalities of players and coaches of the past. As a result of their conversations, came the idea of creating a Tornado Sports Hall of Fame, to not only honor those great teams and players of the past, but to provide a connection for current athletes and coaches to know about the history of who and what came before them.

    It was decided to contact the Taylorville High School Sports Boosters; first to see if a Hall of Fame Committee could serve as a sub-committee with the Sports Boosters, and second to secure their support to help ensure continuity and financial stability. The Sports Boosters agreed and continue to provide generous support to the Hall of Fame.

    In the fall of 1994, the School Board then gave their approval and with that, a founding committee was formed and a constitution and by-laws were written and adopted. The original committee members were Dave Hixenbaugh, chairman, Terry Wright, Dr. David Giovagnoli, Bill Lykins, Dick Breckenridge, Richard Wilson, Sr., Harold “Slick” Parrish, Don Williams, Frank Norris, Barbara Monge and Stuart Chase.

    In the Spring of 1995, the first Hall of Fame Banquet and Induction Ceremony was held in the West Gymnasium of Taylorville High School. Members of the Charter Class were the 1944 State Championship Basketball Team; players, Ron Bontemps, Johnny Orr, Bill Ridley, and Willis Powell; Friend of Sports, Boyd Dappert and legendary coach, Dolph Stanley. Individual plaques were orignally placed in the high school cafeteria, but now hold a place of honor in the Hall of Fame Hallway adjacent to the new cafeteria.