Exporting Outlook Distribution Lists to Google Contacts
This document contains instructions for converting an Outlook Distribution List into a Google Contacts Group. Note that Google Contacts treats email addresses within groups differently than Outlook does. In Google, an individual contact will be created for every person that is a member of a group. Google uses the individual contacts as the foundation for group creation. Outlook, however, allows Distribution Lists to contain email addresses that do not appear as individual contacts. The result of this is that your Google contact list has the potential to be significantly larger than your Outlook Contact list, but this is normal and not cause for concern.
1. Launch Outlook, browse to Contacts and open the Distribution List that you want to move to Google.
2. In Outlook 2007, click on the Office Button and choose "Save As". In Outlook 2003 choose File -> Save As. Save the list as a .txt file.
3. Launch Microsoft Excel and open the file you just created. Choose "Delimited" as the file type, then click "Next".
4. In the delimiters section, select three delimiters: "Tab", "Comma" and "Space". This will separate the data into the appropriate columns and remove any leading spaces. Click "Finish".
5. In the spreadsheet delete the text that appears above your address data. This is leftover from the Outlook export and is not needed. Also, do a quick visual inspection of the columns to make sure everything lines up properly. Address entries from Outlook that include middle names or only an email address with no name can cause column data to line up improperly. 6.
Insert header labels at the top of each column. The column headers should be “last name” “first name” and “email address.” Also, remove extra rows between the column headers and the first address row.
7. Choose "Save As" and save the file as a .csv formatted file. This is the format that Google accepts for imports.
8. When saving as a .csv file, Excel prompts you with the message shown below. Click "Yes" to confirm.
9. Open your Gmail account and click on Contacts . Choose the Import link in the upper-right corner. See the dialogue box below. Click "Choose File" and find your .csv file. Click on the check box that says "Also add these imported contacts to". This will ensure that a new group will be created, or an existing group will be populated when the Outlook contacts are imported. Click "Import".
10. If you selected the checkbox to create a new group the dialogue box shown below will appear, asking you to select a name for the new contact group. Type a name and then click "OK" to continue.
11. Once the import is complete, a summary of activity is displayed: