In September 1881 the Minister of Native Affairs received a letter from Titopapa and six others requesting a school be established in the district. In 1886 tenders were called for the building of a native school and teachers residence which was built about 2kms along Pukehuia Road. Mr John Moore was the establishing teacher at this school in 1886. In June 1893 the native school was closed due to dwindling numbers. In 1894 the Education Board applied to the Education Department in Wellington for permission to take possession of the buildings and use them for a public school. This permission was granted and the school re-opened.
In 1941 Tangiteroria residents petitioned the Education Board to move the school to a more central site due to the old school buildings falling in to disuse. This was unsuccessful and in 1942 the students attended school in both the Tangiteroria Hall supper room and the Interdonominational Church. After two years in these unsatisfactory conditions the Health Department condemned these accommodations bringing the urgency of a new school to the forefront.
The original Tangiteroria School
In 1947 the new school was opened on the current school site and included buildings from the Tangiteroria North, Waiotama and Pukehuia Schools. In 1953 the District High School was established. A school dental clinic was added in 1956. The District High School was disestablished in 1963 when the school reverted to the full primary school which remains today.
Current school site picture taken in 1955.