Schara Tzedeck Synagogue.
Starting in 1934, Vancouver Talmud Torah Association was established as an independent school.
Below are highlights in VTT's history:
1934: VTT becomes an independent school - Vancouver Talmud Torah Association - under the Society Act of BC
1943: the school became a full day school and moved to an 11-room house on West 14th Avenue.
1948: original wing of its present location on Oak Street is built
1962: mortgage burned, school is debt free for the first time in a decade
1964: pre-school, afterschool and day school enrolment increased by 30 pupils necessitating using classrooms at the Beth Israel Synagogue
1968: Building Fund launched
1970: construction of the new two-storey addition completed, with several classrooms, office area and library
1986: plans underway for a new five-classroom wing to replace existing portable classrooms
1987: new one-storey addition completed containing three classrooms and art room area
1992: 2nd storey of new wing completed along with new Morris J. and Dena Wosk z”l auditorium/gymnasium
Image above from the Jewish Western Bulletin,
courtesy of the Jewish Independent