About Us

St Patrick's systemic Catholic Primary school is located in Summer Hill.  It is a small culturally diverse school with a strong sense of community. Currently our school has an enrolment of 170 students from Kindergarten to Year 6.  Our student population comes from a variety of backgrounds.

The school and parish are committed to working in partnership with parents to nurture and challenge students as they grow in their Catholic faith and develop their potential.  We strive to provide a high quality education for children with a variety of educational and life experiences by engaging in curricular and co-curricular activities.  As a school community, we work together to build a happy and safe learning environment for all.

History

With the Catholic population of the inner western suburbs of Sydney increasing after World War II, the parish of St Patrick's, Summer Hill was established in 1949.

The first parish priest, Mgr Michael Cronin, arranged for the Sisters of St Joseph (Lochinvar Congregation) to staff a parish school. Twenty-six pupils were in the Kindergarten and Year One classes when St Patrick's began on 7 February 1949.

The first Principal was Sr Anne Mary Hatton and she was assisted by Sr M Ursula and Sr Kilian. A class was added each year, so that by 1959 the Sisters conducted a full primary course and secondary classes to Intermediate. That same year there were 300 pupils enrolled and a staff of eight Sisters. Boys and girls were taught from Kindergarten to Year 6, and from 1957 girls could continue for three years of lower secondary, which included Domestic Science and commercial classes. These secondary classes ended in 1962 when Catholic authorities recommended that secondary education be centralised in larger regional schools.

Until 1970 nearly all the teachers were Josephite Sisters. When substantial government funding arrived in the 1970s, more teachers could be employed, and lay teachers gradually took over the teaching. In 1989, the Josephite Sisters ended their leadership of the school and Mr Peter Hamer became the first lay Principal. He was appointed by the Catholic Education Office Sydney, which since the 1960s has fostered the development of a system of parish and regional schools in the Archdiocese.

The original buildings sufficed until the late 1970s, when a double demountable classroom was purchased. In 1994 a new building was erected incorporating three classrooms, a library, an administration section and a student toilet block.

In 2006 a building program was begun that included the refurbishment and upgrading of 4 classrooms, specialist teaching areas and the canteen. A large hall, which is used by both the parish and the school, was also built as part of this building initiative.

In 2009 the Federal Government's Building the Education Revolution program enabled the school to refurbish the remaining classrooms and the library. The funds also allowed some external verandahs, stairs and pathways to be upgraded. It also provided for the refurbishment of the student toilet block and the installation of a water tank to service the toilets. Today the school is a modern, well equipped school catering for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6.

Taken from 'St Mary's to St Catherine's: Catholic Schools of the Archdiocese of Sydney 1836-2006' by Br John Luttrell, fms and Marie A Lourey (Second Edition)