Our History

St Martha’s Catholic Primary School began in 1925 in the old church of St Martha in Strathfield, which had been opened in 1905. As the Catholic population grew and Strathfield became a separate parish in 1916, a new St Martha's church was built

The old church then became available to be a parish hall and a parish school. Archbishop Michael Kelly asked the Dominican Sisters, who were already in Strathfield running Santa Sabina College, to staff the new school. Also promoting the development was the parish priest, Fr P. Kernwick.

As government funding became available from the late 1960s more teachers were employed. Lay teachers took an increasing role, and in 1992 the Dominican Sisters ended their leadership of the school.

St Martha’s remains a parish primary school within the Archdiocesan system.