St Mary’s Catholic Primary School is more than a century old and in its early decades was one of the larger Catholic schools of Sydney.
The Parish of Erskineville – at first called Macdonaldtown – was founded in 1872. In 1887 the Sisters of Mercy came to Erskineville and St Mary’s School was established. This followed a tradition begun by Catherine McAuley, the founder of the Sisters of Mercy. Catherine chose inner-city Dublin in which to begin her work in education.
The school has been on the current site since 1912.