A national innovation award winning Organic Learning community that aspires learners to change the world!

St Mel’s Catholic Primary School Campsie has developed a school-wide learning framework that is changing the way learning happens. This innovation is called Organic Learning.

We believe every learner has the capacity to change the world, regardless of age, and that learning must be driven by need and curiosity so that learners can see purpose in learning intentions. A critical difference in Organic Learning is that becoming a self-determined learner should not only be a goal for students, it is also a requirement for teachers and the leadership team. The development and implementation of Organic Learning has enabled our community to thrive through the alignment of learning spaces, structures and processes for students, teachers and leaders.


We have had invested interest from educators across Australia after presenting Organic Learning at the Australian Council for Educational Leaders (ACEL) Conference in Melbourne in 2016 and look forward to sharing our work internationally at the Hawaii International Conference on Education in 2018.


For further information on Organic Learning go to organiclearning2.com


Principal's Message...

St Mel’s is a diverse and vibrant multicultural school community catering for boys and girls in Kindergarten to Year 6. With a population of 308 students situated in the Inner West Region of Sydney, representing 40 different cultural backgrounds, St Mel’s is quite an energetic, forward thinking and world-class learning community.

We believe that ‘we are all in this together’ and our community stands united behind our School Vision: Every learner has the capacity to change the world. As a learning community, we strive to meet the individual needs of our students academically, spiritually, emotionally and intellectually. At every opportunity we aim to personalise learning so that all members of our community will come to realise and utilise their strengths and passions and work on areas that need improvement.

History…

St Mel’s was originally established as St Anthony’s Canterbury in 1895 by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. Sr M Francis Goold was the founding principal. In 1900, the school was taken over by the Sisters of St Joseph.

In 1915, the parish of St Mel’s Campsie was established, with Fr P Kenny as Parish Priest. At this time the school was moved from Canterbury to our present site in Duke Street,Campsie. By 1917, the Sister of St Joseph had established a convent onsite. They continued to lead the school until 1985, when the decision was made by the Provincial to vacate. Following this Mr William (Bill) White was appointed the first lay Principal at St Mel's Campsie.

Steve Borthwick
Principal