About Us

St Michael’s Catholic Primary School Belfield is located in a quiet street on a large parcel of land in the Inner West Region of Sydney. Our classrooms are on one level, with wheelchair access, and are adjacent to a large, grassed, eucalypt-fringed playground. Our school is well equipped with networked computers in every classroom and a variety of multimedia technology.

There are 305 pupils enrolled for 2014; we have 12 class teachers. In addition, we have several specialist teachers. These include a Music teacher, Sports teacher, Teacher Librarian, Reading Recovery teacher, English as a Second Language teacher, Special Education teacher, and Teachers’ aides.

Our school is a caring Catholic community, a place of welcome, where children experience a sense of belonging.

Our History

The growth of the inner suburban population of Sydney after World War II persuaded Cardinal Gilroy to create the new parish of Belfield in 1955, with Fr Gerald Wallington as the first parish priest. Fr Wallington and the Cardinal then invited the Dominican Sisters to establish a parish school. In 1959, the infants school opened with sixty-eight pupils and two teaching sisters, the first Principal being Sr M Joachim. In 1960, three primary classrooms, a tuckshop and a cloakroom were added. All were funded by the parishioners in a period of no government financial assistance.

The school built up, year by year, until it provided for girls from Kindergarten to Sixth Class and for boys from Kindergarten to Third Class. By 1969, there were 203 pupils. Office facilities were spartan, but improved with the provision in 1970 of a part-time secretary and a telephone. In the early 1970s, three more classrooms and a staffroom were built. Such development required local support and this was provided by the Parents and Friends Committee, formed in 1973.

There have been a number of changes since 1975. In that year, the Dominican Sisters ceased teaching at the school and the first lay Principal, Neville Dodd, was appointed by the CEO, Sydney. From 1988, boys were able to remain at St Michael’s to Year Six, in accordance with the Archdiocesan preference that primary schooling should be parish based. There were additional physical improvements in 1993-94, with the completion of a new infants block and toilet block and the refurbishment of the older buildings.

St Michael’s continues to be a parish primary school for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6 within the system of schools managed by the CEO, Sydney.