St Gertrude’s is a co-educational Catholic Primary school located in Smithfield in south-western Sydney, within St Gertrude’s Parish. The current enrolment includes 27 class groups. The school operates within an area of large cultural diversity, with the students enrolled reflecting an amalgam of 25 cultural backgrounds. St Gertrude’s was opened in January 1952 by the Josephite Sisters and continues today to practise the values and traditions of St Mary of the Cross.
The school has a variety of playgrounds for the students to enjoy including several handball courts, a netball court, a large grass playground and many other dedicated play areas. All of our learning areas are bright, environmentally controlled (heating and cooling) and well maintained. Each classroom contains an Interactive Whiteboard with internet access and the school has several multi-platform laptop labs with wireless technology. iPads are used to support learning across all Key Learning Areas.
At St Gertrude’s we are committed to developing and sustaining an authentic Catholic school. To help us achieve this aim we have developed new Vision and Mission statements. We have also worked on a new Whole School Behaviour Policy and have decided on the following three expectations for all areas of our school life:
- Be respectful
- Be responsible
- Be safe.
St Gertrude’s is a feeder school for Patrician Brother's Catholic College Fairfield for boys and Mary MacKillop Catholic College Wakeley for girls.
Mrs Frances Bonanno
Interim Principal 2015