About Us

St Charles’ School Waverley has been part of the history of Catholic Education in Australia since 1854. As one of the earliest Catholic denominational schools in Sydney, it was staffed by lay teachers for thirty years before the Sisters of St Clare arrived from Ireland in 1884.

The Christian Brothers established a boys’ school in 1902 sharing the site with St Clare’s Girls School which later became the St. Charles Girls School. After the Christian Brothers withdrew in 1968 the two schools combined to become St Charles’ Primary School.

Towards the end of 1996,the Sisters of St Clare passed the rich educational and spiritual traditions of the school back to lay stewardship.

In November 2014,St Charles celebrated 160 years of education in Waverley. Throughout this long history, St Charles’ School has educated generations of families in the local area. 

From its early beginning under the leadership of lay staff, the Sisters of St Clare and the Christian Brothers, the school has developed a rich tradition of connectedness to the Franciscan story.